Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Fun birthday/holiday book gift (Richard Scarry's Biggest Word Book Ever!)

The Jean Little Library blog has a wonderful recommendation today (read it here) for a book called In The Town, All Year 'Round, by Rotraut Susanne Berner. It looks fantastic, and I've added it to our "to be read" list. Her post is labeled "the new Richard Scarry!," and I can certainly see why from the book's cover. The recommended age group for the book on amazon is 4-8 years, but it looks like our little guy would enjoy it now as well. I love books like this that seem like they'll appeal for years.

Reading that review reminded me of one of our little guy's favorite Christmas gifts this year - a super-sized (at two feet tall, about as tall as a toddler!) Scarry book that was so much fun to watch him unwrap. This is going on my list of things to remember to buy for friends' children when I'm struggling for original ideas. I can't really remember reading Richard Scarry when I was little, although I'm sure I did. We currently only have this one book by him, but I'm sure he would enjoy checking out some others. Here is our review:

Richard Scarry's Biggest Word Book Ever! (Board book), by Richard Scarry. This over-sized book (24 inches tall!) makes a really fun gift. I was so excited to buy it for the little bookworm for Christmas this year (at just over one year). He lays it down and crawls right into it. If you're familiar with Richard Scarry's style, this follows suit...happily cluttered pages chock full of busy scenes of every day life, with a little extra silliness (like fruit cars) thrown in.

Infant's Interest: At 14 months, he loves to find the watermelons most of all, but enjoys the whole book.

To anyone reading, what are your favorite Richard Scarry books?

1 comment:

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

I LOVE Richard Scarry! I love how he has stood the test of time.