Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Five Questions

Kim from Sophisticated Dorkiness sent me these five interview questions to answer as part of a blog "meme" (aka survey). I'm inserting in a few book reviews for books I mention that we've read and reviewed, but haven't posted here yet (we'll catch up on posting all of these eventually!).


1. What is a favorite childrens book that you are excited for Bookworm to read?

So many!

One that he hasn't shown interest in yet that I'm excited about is Harold and the Purple Crayon , by Crockett Johnson. I loved these books as a child. (For those who don't know, the story centers around a young boy (Harold) and his magical purple crayon, which seemingly brings to life whatever he draws. He uses his crayon to create (and escape) from all sorts of exciting adventures.).



I also love reading Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb, by Al Perkins, with him. And a few more I remember from when I was young are "Danny and the Dinosaur," "The Monster at the End Of This Book" (review below), and Curious George books. You didn't expect me to name just one, did you?

The Monster at the End of this Book (Big Little Golden Book) (Hardcover), by Jon Stone. I remembered loving this board book as a child as soon as I saw the cover at the library. The book stars Grover of Sesame Street fame, as he implores his young readers not to turn another page for fear of reaching the end of the book, where rumor has it a monster is hiding. His growing anxiety is amusingly documented, and the ending is cleverly cute.

Bookworm's interest at 14 months: He seemed a little too young to enjoy it, although he did humor me and read it with me now and then.




2. How do you think your blogging will change as Bookworm grows up?

Right now I blog while he naps, and I tend to post pretty often. Once he's no longer napping, I might not be doing multiple posts per day anymore! Also, his books will get longer, so we'll read/review less of them. If we keep up with the blog for a long time, maybe his voice will start to come through more in the reviews.

3. What is another favorite hobby besides book blogging?

Quilting! I wrote a little about it during a "weekly geeks" challenge here, and I'm contemplating starting a quilting blog any day now.

4. What is the most important quality in picking out a good kids book?

That he loves it. That can be hard to judge at first because he gets overstimulated in libraries and bookstores. My next order will include Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (review posted below) and Goodnight Gorilla (review posted here). Sometimes I look for something I know will grab his attention, like a firetruck, bus, dog, bird, etc., but I can't really predict what he'll love. Unless it has flaps.

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (Hardcover), by Jr, Bill Martin. I had never heard of this book until recently, and since then I seem to hear reference to it everywhere. The story is set to a song starring the letters of the alphabet climbing up a coconut tree. If you need to know the tune (I admit I did!), there is a fun, animated YouTube video (just search by the book's title). We took it out of the library to test it out, and we'll be getting our own copy this week.

Excerpt:

"'Whee!' said D to E, F, G, 'I'll beat you to the top of the coconut tree.' Chicka chicka boom boom! Will there be enough room? Here comes H up the coconut tree..."

Bookworm's interest at 15 months: He especially likes the phrase "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" and calls "buh! buh!" when he picks out the book. He generally loses interest in the large version right where the board book would end. I'm debating whether that means we should get the full or board book version, but I think we'll go with the full one because we can always close the book now, and he'll grow into the whole thing eventually.




5. Who is you favorite book character, and why?

This is a hard one. Maybe Harold from Harold and the Purple Crayon, because he has such a wonderful sense of adventure.


Want to be interviewed too? Leave me a comment saying so, and I'll email you five questions to answer.

Thanks, Kim!


4 comments:

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

How fun! My kids love flaps too. I also love Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.

biblauragraphy said...

The Monster at the End of this Book is the most fun read-aloud in the history of man. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Karen said...

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is one of our favorites too, and I loved The Monster At the End of This Book when I was young!

grayskyeyes said...

I used to babysit a lot, and I remember my kids really enjoying Harold and the Purple Crayon and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. I liked Harold too, such a cute kid doing something I wish that I could do (draw adventures with crayons). Thanks for playing!

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness)