This is my first "meme" (basically a survey that makes the rounds on blogs). I saw it at Subliminal Intervention, and thought it sounded fun and easy. Note the emphasis on "thought." I was assigned a random letter, and my task is to come up with 10 things I love with that letter. Anyone who wants to participate leaves a comment to this post, and I'll assign them a random letter. Sounds easy, right? Except that I was assigned the letter "U"! Not one to back down from a puzzle type challenge, and also not wanting to spend a week driving myself nuts, I came up with 10 things tonight, and I'm posting them before I change my mind. Alas, I don't own any Ugg boots, have no fond memories attached to Unchained Melody, have never visited the United Kingdom, and do not shop at Urban Outfitters all that often.
So, in no particular order, 10 things I love that begin with U:
1. Uppababy. A Massachusetts based company that makes really great strollers, like this UPPAbaby Vista Stroller, which we love. It's like an SUV. The company's customer service has been beyond fantastic.
2. Universities. I love being on university campuses. To grossly stereotype -- I love working for them, relaxing in their coffee shops, visiting their museums, eavesdropping on their students, and going to their events. I love the protective bubble of university life, the unbridled optimism among students about the world that awaits them, the culture of learning that pervades the campus, and the tolerance of other viewpoints.
3. UPS deliveries. I'm a stay-at-home mom, and UPS deliveries are exciting. A box arriving is like 30 minutes of freedom, because when that UPS man leaves, my son is going to open that thing up, unpack it, repack it, look at what's inside, toss it, hide it, repack it... Ah, yes, I love UPS deliveries. I also love this Halloween costume.
4. Uburger. This Boston-based burger joint is delicious. I would probably just say that I like them had I not been forced to go gluten-free last year (that's another story), and discovered that Uburger is one of the precious few restaurants that doesn't fry their french fries in the same oil as breaded things like onion rings, which would set the fries off limits to those with allergies. Their milkshakes are divine.
5. Unpacking things. Ok, this one only applies to the baby bookworm, but it's true, he does love it.
6. Urban living. Maybe I'm stretching here, but we do love city living. We love taking public transportation everywhere (this one applies to both mom and baby, who is fascinated with buses and trains), having a wealth of cultural opportunities and events happening around us, seeing diversity of wealth/religion/race in our neighbors, etc. I'll miss these things when we head to the suburbs (not that all suburbs lack these things).
7. U2. Well, I loved U2 when I was in high school. I can't say I've stuck a CD of theirs in my player for 10 years. But when I was comforting a colicky newborn in the wee hours of the morning, all of those old memorized lyrics came back to me, and I loved them then all over again.
8. Unconditional love. Hey, I am dealing with the letter "U" here. Cut me some slack.
10. "Uncle Ubb's umbrella and his underwear too." We love us some Dr. Seuss around here.
I did actually have a lot of fun with this one. Want to give it a try on your own blog? Just leave me a comment and I'll assign you a random letter. I promise it won't be as hard as "U." Unless I pick "X."