Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wednesday Watermelon Award (Moo Baa La La La!)

I nearly forgot that today is Wednesday, which means we're due to post one of our little man's favorite reads. Looking through the books we've read but not yet reviewed on the blog (I try to pick a book we haven't yet reviewed to highlight for an "award," but not always), one book stood out. So, here it is:

Moo, Baa, La La La! (Board book), by Sandra Boynton. This is one of our favorite Sandra Boynton books, and one of the bookworm's favorite books overall. When we start reading it, we're always in for at least 3 or 4 read-throughs. The rhyming text is fun and clever, focusing on animals and their noises.

Excerpt:

"A sheep says Baa./Three singing pigs say LA LA LA!/'No, No!' you say, that isn't right./The pigs say OINK all day and night."

Bookworm's interest at under 12 months (and still now at 15 months): All.


Here's another Boynton book we read this week and haven't yet reviewed:

A to Z (Board book), by Sandra Boynton. This board book by Sandra Boynton features an animal/verb combo for every letter. The illustrations reflect Boynton's usual style. They're bright and clear and easily distinguishable (which is nice for alphabet and word books). The animal/verb combos are mildly silly, although they lack the rhyming, sing-song text of many of Boynton's books. This is an all around nice alphabet book.

Excerpt:

"Turkey tripping / Uglybirds being ugly / Vicuña Violinning / Weasel Whistling"

Bookworm's interest at 15 months: Unfortunately the first few reads weren't well received, but I'm going to chalk it up to timing for now and keep trying.

Parent's Peeve: Not a peeve, but an admission. I had to look up "vicuña." Ah, good old Wikipedia ("The vicuña (Vicugna vicugna) or vicugna is one of two wild South American camelids, along with the guanaco, which live in the high alpine areas of the Andes. It is a relative of the llama, and is now believed to be the wild ancestor of domesticated alpacas, which are raised for their fiber.")

I'm editing to add a third Boynton book we just read for the first time today:

Blue Hat, Green Hat (Board book), by Sandra Boynton. This wardrobe-focused Boynton book teaches colors through the use of four characters - an elephant, moose, bear, and rooster. Each page features a different piece of clothing being worn (in varying colors) by the other three, then incorrectly by the rooster ("Oops" reads the text by his picture when he, for instance, wears his pants on his head). The book feels short, but it is charming and appealed to our little man from the get go.

Excerpt:

"Red shirt, blue shirt, yellow shirt, oops"

Bookworm's interest at 15 months: He liked this one right away, and even laughed at the correct time on every page (as I read the repetitive "oops").

Parent's Peeve: The last couple of pages seem a little out of sync with the rest of the book to me (the rooster dives into a pool for some reason), but I'm probably just nitpicking. I like this one overall.

5 comments:

biblauragraphy said...

Moo, Baa, La La La was my baby sister's favorite when she was little. The whole family can still recite it.

Cindy DG said...

We love Sandra book at our house! We read all day! :)
Cindy
http://vegetarianmamma.blogspot.com

Karen said...

Thank you for the award, I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond. I haven't been doing much blogging although I have ideas, not much time. (I signed up to host Poetry Friday tomorrow, what was I thinking!) Anyway, thanks very much again for the award and comments.

We enjoy Boynton and I think your child is at the perfect age for it. Another fun one is Barnyard Dance. Moo Baa La La La is a favorite. I have some little peeves too, I'm picky about books at times. I am very impressed that you looked up vicuna. How do you pronounce it? Maybe that's why A to Z doesn't get read that much over here.

Happy reading!

MaryAnne said...

I remember showing my daughter a bunch of hand-me-down board books when she was about 9 months old. She went through and picked out every single Sandra Boynton one, but was only interested in a couple of the others. They are great books!

I know what a vicuna is, but only because I lived in Bolivia. They have super soft fur, but I think they're endangered.

My daughter has always found the jumping into the pool bit at the end of "blue hat, green hat" hilarious - I guess the mistake is getting all the clothes right but then choosing the wrong activity to wear them for?

Vickie said...

I will lokk up Blue Hat, Green Hat at the library. Theanks for the info