Thursday, February 12, 2009

"Weekly Geeks" (Alice in Wonderland)

This week's Weekly Geeks assignment is about book covers.

"Judge a Book By Its Cover! This week it's all about judging books by their covers! Pick a book--any book, really--and search out multiple book cover images for that book. They could span a decade or two (or more)...Or they could span several countries. Which cover is your favorite? Which one is your least favorite? Which one best 'captures' what the book is about?"

I nearly didn't do the assignment this week, because I couldn't think of a children's book with enough variety. But, tonight I peeked at Alice in Wonderland covers and decided to jump in with a post afterall. Wow; who knew there were SO many covers for this book? And that each would convey a slightly (or, in some cases drastically) different impression on the reader.

Here are a few I like (if price were equal, I'd probably be inclined toward the first. I'm a sucker for these covers that make you feel you are buying THE classic version):


And a few I don't care for:



This one is lovely, but reminds me more of "The Secret Garden" than Alice in Wonderland:


Most of the covers just seemed unremarkable to me (for a particularly remarkable book).

4 comments:

Shanra said...

I'm curious, why don't much care for the third of those covers? (The one where she's holding the flamingo, that is.)

I do agree with you about the classic-esque covers (Can I say it like that? No matter.) being so attractive. That one's a little too cluttered for my tastes, maybe, but then I have a very calm and pretty blue version myself. (It's got more than the Alice books in it, though, so it wouldn't count for the Weekly Geeks question.)

Infant Bibliophile said...

I realize now that my least favorite didn't get posted, since I could only find it on amazon with the "look inside" feature. It is the same sort of style as the third one but includes a large frown (I agree, the one here is not that bad)...that large headed illustration just didn't appeal to me, but I haven't read the book in so long that it may be a perfect depiction of a key character! I think a reread is in order one of these days.

libritouches said...

That one sounds scary. I'm not the biggest fan of the way the title and author are portrayed, but I like the way Alice-in-red seems to be looking at a picture of herself with... I think that's the Duchess, but I'm not 100% certain. Certainly shows you where Alice is going in Wonderland, but I'm sure there could be other prints to symbolise the book more. Question is, would they scare kids more if those were the covers?

I could see this structure work for Through the Looking-Glass actually. If not for the borders around the titles, that cover might actually win over the lovely 'classic style' one because it's less bright/red. *burble*

Jennie said...

The top one on the left (where she's talking to Tweedldum and Tweedledee) is the copy I have.