Sunday, March 1, 2009

More children's books about transportation

Following are reviews of a few more transportation-related books, for those of you with children who (like our bookworm) love buses, trucks, trains, planes, and all manner of things that go.

Chimp and Zee Let's Go (Board book), by Catherine Anholt. Our first Chimp and Zee read, this tiny, thick board book is full of transportation vehicles driven most commonly by chimps, but also piloted by a giraffe, lion, and goat here and there. This size word book is perfect for infant hands and tossing in a purse for a "must entertain" emergency.

Excerpt:

"Fire engine / Tractor / Digger"

Bookworm's interest at 15 months: I thought this would be a sure fire infant pleaser. It has monkeys (I suppose technically chimpanzees), a fire engine, a race car, a hot air balloon, a truck, a train, and even some bananas. When we got it home and he wouldn't sit still for it, I was about to throw in the towel and give up trying to select books he'd like altogether! But today I tossed it to Daddy to read with him, and I heard multiple reads (upon request), so my book-choosing confidence is restored.




Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Hardcover), by Mo Willems. Now I realize why everyone loves Mo Willems' books. "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus" was his first children's book, and it is wonderful. The illustrations are simple and say so much. The story involves a pigeon who badly wants to drive a bus. The driver asks the reader, as the title suggests, not to let the pigeon drive. He takes a break, leaving the pigeon to plead with the reader through most of the book, using all sorts of witty arguments. I'm excited for our baby to be old enough to really get the humor.

Excerpt:

"I'll be your best friend! How 'bout I give you five bucks? No fair! I bet your mom would let me."

Bookworm's interest at 15 months: Buses and birds are two are of his favorites, so this book started with a definite advantage. He's not picking up on the pleading/sarcasm yet but he's a bit young still.




The Pigeon Loves Things That Go! (Board book), by Mo Willems. I snatched this board book up when I saw it, since we had just read "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus," and I was hungry for more of Mo Willems cleverness. It's sort of a word book and picture book in one. The left hand side of each two-page spread contains a clear illustration of a vehicle (bus, train, airplane, and... a hot dog)(yes, a hot dog, whose inclusion is justified on the last page). The right side contains a little amusing quip from Pigeon.

Excerpt:

"Airplane / Sure beats flapping!"

Bookworm's interest at 15 months: Not too interested yet, but we'll try a few more times.

Parent's Peeve: I wish it was longer. Even for a board book, this feels quite short.




Flip-a Shape: Go! (Flip a Shape) (Board book), by SAMi. A large sturdy board book that focuses on shapes through the use of very limited text and bright, simple images.

Bookworm's interest at 13 months: He really enjoyed it while we had it out from the library.




For similar books, see my post here, which includes five transportation-related reviews and links to three others.

2 comments:

Carmen of Baby Books Guide said...

Hi,
I just love your site. What a wonderful gift to give to your child. You are a master record keeper which excites the teacher in me!!!!
I have a site called: Baby Books Guide and would so love to send my visitors to your blog as an example of what is possible when sharing a love of books with your baby. Please can you let me know if I can feature any of your book reviews on my site with links back to your blog.
Thanks for a lovely browse
Carmen Benton

Infant Bibliophile said...

Hi - thanks for the nice complements. I emailed you, but we'd be happy to have our reviews featured with links back here. Thanks for stopping by!