Thursday, April 23, 2009

And still more books about transportation!

Our little guy's obsession with books about transportation continues, so I share with you three more reviews of children's books that we picked up at the library this week:

Look & See: Wheels on the Go! (Board book), by La Coccinella. The first thing about this book that grabs little readers is a unique cutout feature of the wheels. Graduating cutouts (smallest in the back) create a cone effect that just begs for little fingers to explore. Each two-page spread features a mode of transportation, including a few not so often found in transportation books (go-cart, trolley) and a rhyming text that follows the style of the excerpt below.

Excerpt:

"I have no engine, I use no gas, but use your feet, and I'll go fast. On mountain trails, through the countryside, on city streets - let's take a ride! What am I? A BICYCLE!"

Bookworm's interest at 17 months: He grabbed this one at the library and kept snatching it up at home all day and bringing it to me. The text is a little long, so I find myself speed-reading or leaving off a line or two, but he certainly doesn't seem to mind.




These next two were picked up at the suggestion of one our commenters, Corey Schwartz (an author herself!). Thanks Corey!

Dig Dig Digging (Board book), by Margaret Mayo. All of the transportation favorites are here - bulldozers, garbage trucks, fire engines - except for a bus, I suppose. Each two-page spread contains a vehicle and a slightly silly rhyme about it (see excerpt).

Excerpt:

"Garbage Trucks / Garbage trucks are good at gobble gobble gobbling, crunching messy garbage bags, squeezing and squashing. Busy busy garbage eaters, always gobbling. They can work all day."

Bookworm's interest at 17 months: At first, I feared there was too much text for him, and for some reason, he just didn't take to it very much, not even to the images of the vehicles. But, he must have just been tired, because today the book made a huge comeback, garnering about 10 "more" signs in a row after each repeat read.

Parent's Peeve: The text isn't my favorite (see excerpt), but it's tolerable and kind of fun to reach aloud I suppose.



My Truck is Stuck! (Hardcover), by Kevin Lewis. This cute picture book follows a dump truck full of bones that has gotten stuck, and the parade of characters (in all different types of vehicles - including a bus!) that try to rescue the truck.

Excerpt:

"Drag and draw. Tug and tow. 3 engines roar. But the truck won't go."

Bookworm's interest at 17 months: I figured he would be too young for this one, but he is stlll quite entertained by it. I don't know how he knows what a bone is, but he loves pointing at the dumptruck full of bones every time it appears and shouting "buh! buh! buh!"




For additional recommendations, check out all of our previous reviews of children's books about transportation.

Have another transportation book that your children enjoy? We'd love to hear about it!

1 comment:

Dan said...

I was searching for the Trucks Suppliers Network,I found this one to be most suitable for everyone...thanks for your post. you can check it out...