Saturday, April 11, 2009

Baby baby baby books

A Teeny Tiny Baby (Hardcover), by Amy Schwartz. This picture book caught my eye at the library, and I had to keep reading it even after the little guy had shrugged it off and run away. I think it would make a wonderful gift for an expectant mother and a soon to be big brother or sister. The text is written from the perspective of a new baby. "I'm a teeny tiny baby" the first page begins, "and I know how to get anything I want." A crying baby on the bed is met by three racing adults (mom, dad, grandma?), hands outstretched to get there as fast as possible. The text and illustrations follow baby as he feeds incessantly; travels around town in his stroller; sits in his high chair, carrier, bouncy seats, etc;,and, on the last few pages, delights in looking at himself in the mirror. The true-to-life descriptions (see excerpts) made me chuckle. I like that the drawings show the mom breastfeeding (but there are plenty of bottles in there too, and the nursing is VERY subtle. It just looks like a cuddle to an untrained eye). I enjoyed the book enough that I have to include two excerpts instead of the usual one.

Excerpt:

"I like to meet new people when I'm out. 'He's so little!' they say, or 'He's so big!' 'Is it a boy?' or "Is it a girl?' / Or once a big kid stopped and said, 'He has no hair!' Which I didn't appreciate."

"I like to eat when the sun hasn't quite risen yet and then again when I decide to really get up and then a little later and then in the afternoon / and a little while before supper and a little while after and when the moon comes up and a few times later in the evening, / and then again when it's still dark and me and Mom are the only ones up. Except for Dad."

Bookworm's interest at 16 months: He wouldn't sit still through this one. I think he is too young for it, although I will try a few more times.




And a couple better suited for the younger crowd:

Baby's Day: Easy-Open Board Book (Easy-Open Board Books) (Board book), by Michel Blake. Two things make this brief board book full of photographs of objects in "Baby's Day" stand out -- first, the graduated sizing of the sturdy pages make opening them easier for infant hands. Second, the photographs are black and white, but one object is highlighted (with accompanying text) on each page. As you can see on the cover image, in which the cups are colored, the technique is very effective.

Excerpt:

"Teether / chair"

Bookworm's interest at 15 months: He enjoys this one quite a bit now, but it would have also been a very nice one for him when he was younger. This would make a nice gift for a new baby.




Let's Play: Easy-Open Board Book (Easy-Open Board Books) (Board book), by Michel Blake. I accidentally returned this one to the library before I had written the review, but it is in the same series as the "Baby's Day" book reviewed above, and the style is similar. Black and white photos feature colored objects related to playtime.

Bookworm's interest at 15 months: He liked Baby's Day better, but would happily read this one too.


Have you read Teeny Tiny Baby with your child?  If so, I'm curious to know how older kids respond to it.  

2 comments:

The Katies said...

If you have a chance to read & review any Earth Day type books this week let us know. We'd love to link to you in our theme post!

Infant Bibliophile said...

Thanks! I'll see what I can do. I do have a couple that I reviewed in the past; I'll send you a link.