Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

I posted some Earth Day children's book suggestions this week.  Here are a couple more.

Eco Babies Wear Green (Board book), by Michelle Sinclair Colman. "Eco babies eat local," explains the text alongside a baby shoving fresh picked strawberries into her mouth. They also compost their cheerios and wear green diapers. This is a cute book that would guarantee a chuckle from any environmentally-minded mom-to-be. Others in this series include Urban Babies Wear Black, Beach Babies Wear Shades, Winter Babies Wear Layers, and Foodie Babies Wear Bibs. Are they baby-friendly? I'd love to hear from other parents who have them.

Excerpt:

"Eco babies love nature"

Bookworm's interest at 17 months: The first time we read it, not only did he shut it on me, he actually cried a bit! Undeterred, I tried again this morning, and he sat through it just fine. I supplemented the text a bit with comments like, "Can you see the baby with the cereal? He's throwing it!" I'd like to try the "Winter Babies Wear Layers" one to see if he can relate to the text a bit more. .



The Lorax (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover), by Dr. Seuss. I didn't realize that Dr. Seuss had written so many "issues" type books until recently (see, for example, my review of The Butter Battle Book, about armament). The Lorax tells the story of the greedy "Once-ler" (through his remorseful voice) who chops down the lovely Truffula trees, driving away the Lorax, who tries to stop him. In the end, hope remains in the form of a single surviving Truffula seed. The whimsical illustrations, trademark silliness, and rhyming text are pure Dr. Seuss.

Excerpt:

"The instant I'd finished, I heard a ga-Zump! I looked. I saw something pop out of the stump of the tree I'd chopped down. It was sort of a man. Describe him? ... That's hard. I don't know if I can. / He was shortish. And oldish. And brownish. And mossy. And he spoke with a voice that was sharpish and bossy."

Bookworm's interest at 17 months: I didn't really try this one him, as it looks too old for him.



How are you celebrating Earth Day today?  We haven't decided yet, but we're looking forward to getting a free tree at an Arbor Day celebration on Friday.

2 comments:

Bookworm said...

Just wanted to drop by and say HI!

Happy Earth Day to one of my favorite book blogging buddies!

SkylarKD said...

My daughter used to love "Winter Babies Wear Layers", and I get such a kick out of the illustrations! She's a bit old for it now, but we still occasionally flip through it. She's a Canadian baby born in February, so it's very appropriate! :)