Wednesday, April 1, 2009

National Poetry Month and a dare to haiku

Today marks the first day of National Poetry Month. We haven't read many poetry books with our little guy yet, but I'm hoping to try some Shel Silverstein this month (I always loved his books when I was younger).

I'm not much of a poet. But in honor of the month, I humbly offer these haikus:

Our bibliophile
wants more books before bedtime.
How can we say no?

***

He turns the pages;
I lean down to kiss his hair.
Let's read forever.

A haiku is a Japanese style of poem which consists of three lines. The first and third line contain five syllables, and the second line contains seven. There are other elements typically included in a genuine haiku that you can learn all about on Wikipedia's page, but in my just-for-fun haikus, 5/7/5 is the only requirement.

Share your own bibliophilic haiku in the comments...come on, I dare you. :)

4 comments:

goldenecho said...

I love that last Haiku of yours. So precious! I love your blog and have added it to the ones I'm following.

On an side note, have you heard about the CPSIA? If not, thought you might be interested to know about it, because it's could have a big effect on the availability of older Children's books if it's not changed:

http://city-journal.org/2009/eon0212wo.html

Infant Bibliophile said...

I have heard of it, but I appreciated the article link. Thank you. I think it's a fascinating issue. I'm not as highly critical of it as every blogger I've seen post about it, only because I feel so strongly about eliminating harmful chemicals from children's products, but I can see the obvious problems with implementation. It doesn't seem to have been thought through before it was passed (big surprise). I suspect the issues will be resolved soon, given the public outcry as it relates to books (and similar issues with homemade items).

Marinela said...

I love these haiku of yours !

Pamela Villars said...

I love the second haiku too.

My daughter is grown, but I raised her on books. And one of my proudest moments was when she was moving out (I think she was 19) and moving into a tiny room. She asked me how to build a bookcase and I told her she could leave her books at home until she had more space. She looked at me in horror and said,
"Mom, I can't live without my books!"

I knew I had done something right.