Monday, May 11, 2009

Muffin Tin Monday

As the mom of a picky eating toddler, I always enjoy reading about what other moms feed their kids, and I particularly enjoy the Muffin Tin Monday feature at Her Cup Overfloweth.  I've thought about participating, but it always seemed a little too tangential for a books blog.  This week's theme, though, was right up our alley: Children's Literature!

So, we decided to give it a try.  We almost missed it entirely as the bookworm took a 3 hour nap right through lunch.  But when we woke up, I quickly threw together this tin.  His favorite books lately are all about trucks, buses, and cars, so that's what we did:



Top row (left to right): marshmallows, chopped up bacon, and freeze-dried blueberries -- all as "gravel" for his dump truck.
Bottom row (left to right): gluten-free chicken nuggets, potato chips, and quaker kettle-corn flavored mini rice cakes -- all as "wheels."

If you're visiting for the first time, take a look here at our many transportation-related book reviews that inspired this children's literature related muffin tin.

He really enjoyed it, and even as I type this, he keeps pointing to the screen and running to the other room yelling "muhmuh!" to show he knows what a muffin tin is.  

12 comments:

Kayce and Robbie said...

Love the gravel - great idea!

The Masked Mommy said...

Love how the dump truck is in the muffin tin, too :-)

Michelle Sybert said...

so cute that you put the truck in the tin!! great job and thanks for joining us this week!

Val in the Rose Garden said...

Oh! My toddler would LOVE that! I will have to put this in my favorites for one of the No Theme weeks for him. He is ALL about trucks and backhoes. Off to check out your book suggestions. :)

Val

BranFlakes said...

glad to have you join in the fun! we love mtm!

Jenny in Utah said...

Seriously, what a fun idea ... my boy LOVES trucks - I am going to have to remember this!

Britt said...

That's an awesome idea! We may have to do that... I find that themed meals are a great gimmick to get my picky kids to eat!

The Book Chook said...

I love to read about linking literature with literacy - such a happy blog!

Heidi Jo the Artist said...

Very fun and creative! We have a Ergo too and love it!

Heidi Jo the Artist

My Shop ~
http://swirlsofcreativity.etsy.com

My Blogs ~
Swirls of Creativity’s Purple Thursday ~ Every Thursday!
http://swirlsofcreativity.blogspot.com

Reducing, Reusing, & Recycling
http://greenresolution.blogspot.com

Our Journey as a Christian Homeschooling/Unschooling Family
http://briobridge.blogspot.com

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Wow. I'm really impressed. I must admit that I must be a lazy mom because I've never done anything creative with our meals.

Infant Bibliophile said...

Natasha, it probably just means that your kids EAT. Mine is so picky, I have to try anything I can think of. Besides, I see your recipe experiments on your website all the time and you are anything but lazy! This took 5 minutes.

pixiedust (Angela) said...

I love that your blog is from a kid's perspective! So creative! :)