Saturday, May 2, 2009

Quick review (Berenstain Bears' New Baby)

The Berenstain Bears' New Baby (Paperback), by Stan Berenstain. I always loved Berenstain Bear books when I was younger, so I was very excited to see this children's book about welcoming a new baby home (to any relatives reading this: no, no new baby on the way for us). As the title suggests, the story revolves around the birth of "Small Bear"'s sister. Papa Bear takes Small Bear out to build a new bed, as he has outgrown his old bed, and meanwhile, Mama Bear manages to give birth to a baby girl. Small Bear seems quite content with the discovery that the new addition to the family has taken over his old bed, and the book ends on a happy note: "That night he stretched out proudly in his bigger bed. 'Aah!' he said. 'Being a big brother is going to be fun.' May all of you with new additions on the way have such an easy birth and seamless transition.

Excerpt:

"...'You outgrew it just in time,' called Mama Bear from the next room. 'Come and see.' / It was true! There was his snug little bed with a new little baby in it. Small Bear had outgrown his snug little bed just in time for his new baby sister. And now he was a big brother!"

Bookworm's interest at 17 months: He enjoyed the first few pages, but lost interest. He's still too young for it at this point. I can't wait until he can enjoy these as much as I did.

1 comment:

Cristina said...

OMG! A classic! We had the blue hardcover version of this book. I remember having it read to me when my first sister was on the way (I was 3), and then reading it to my sisters every time a new one was on the way. (We are 4 girls.) I can't wait to have a reason to read it to B! I'll have to steal the entire B. Bears collection from my mom's house. :)