Saturday, May 23, 2009

Review: It's Useful to Have a Boy/Duck

This clever book-in-a-box kept our little guy amused for awhile tonight, so I thought it was about time I reviewed it.

It's Useful to Have a Duck (Hardcover), by Isol. This is unlike any board book I've seen. A hard box (see image) holds a thick board book that slides out either side of the box. The book (It's Useful to Have a Duck) is accordion-style, so the whole thing unfolds to one long page. The story involves a boy who finds a duck, picks him up, and involves him in his day in various ways. What makes the book unique is that the reader can flip it over and it then becomes a book (It's Useful to Have a Boy) that tells the same story from the duck's perspective! This is a clever design, and it might be a nice way to introduce perspective to a young reader.

Excerpt:

[On "It's Useful to Have a Duck" side, with illustration of duck on boy's head:] "I use him for a hat." [And on reverse side, from duck's perspective:] "I use his head to see the view."

Bookworm's interest at 18 months: He wasn't interested in it at the library, but I was intrigued by the novelty of it, so I took it home anyway. I didn't have much luck with the first few reads, but tonight he had a lot of fun with it with Dad. They read it a few times, and then he enjoyed just holding it and opening up the accordion pages, and also playing hide and seek beneath it.




For additional books about birds or other animals, check out our round-up of children's books about animals.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I have never seen that book. It looks so interesting.