Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Review: Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever

Thanks to a library trip with Daddy, the little guy has a new favorite book this week: Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever.  Here is our review:

Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever (Giant Little Golden Book) [SPECIAL EDITION] (School & Library Binding), by Richard Scarry. This large word book is jam packed with scenes of every day life, Richard Scarry style. 71 colorful pages focus on a whole host of fun topics, like fire engines, trucks, counting, seasons, foods, toys, the playground, and the beach. There are a few sentences per oversized page (see excerpt), but the words/pictures really steal the show. In fact, I'm not sure I'd even read the sentences until I opened the book to type up this review.

Excerpt:

"The Pigs are buying groceries for their family. What would you like to buy next time you go to the market? Would you like to buy a pickle?""

Bookworm's interest at 18 months: He loves the entire book. It is 71 pages long and he signs "more" as soon as he gets to the last page. He loves to be quizzed to find items in it.

Parent's Peeve: Looks like we'll have to buy a copy!



If you like the sound of this book, check out our reviews of Richard Scarry's Biggest Word Book Ever, In the Town All Year 'Round, and Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks from A to Z -- all favorites in our house.

Note: Apologies if my posts come up with wacky font sizing this week.  Firefox keeps freezing up on me, so I've started posting in Safari, which seems to be randomly resizing my text.  

7 comments:

Britt said...

I think we have this one! My kids love his books.

Christy said...

I'll have to borrow this one from the library. I have to admit that I have never been a big fan of word books like this because I just don't find them enjoyable to read. HOW SELFISH OF ME! I'm going to give it another chance. Do you ever avoid reading books to your son because you don't like the book(s)?

Britt said...

I do! Or if I'm just sick of that particular book.

When my older one wanted Nic Bishop's Spiders from the library I told her I wouldn't read it. She said "But Daddy will." And he did.

Simone said...

We also just took this one out of the library. We have to read it everyday - I loved Richard Scarry books as a kid so I'm not surprised my twins love it too.

Infant Bibliophile said...

Christy,
I know what you mean! There are times I don't like reading the picture books too. Sometimes they're easier, though, because you can just say "where's the dump truck?" and then zone out for 5 seconds while he hunts. I can't think of any one book I hate reading (just get tired of some sometimes), but when Dad is around, I am guilty of saying, "oh, is that book you're carrying for Dada? I bet he'll read it to you!" now and then. There have been some from the library I wasn't crazy about, but out of sight out of mind I guess, because I can't remember them now.

Christy said...

Thank you. I'll have to make a pile of books for Daddy to read!

SkylarKD said...

I LOVED this book as a child. For years I would love flipping through the pages and looking at every detail in the illustrations. My favourites were the rabbits' house and the bears getting dressed. :) My daughter has recently taken a liking to it, so I get to enjoy it again!