Sunday, May 31, 2009

Top Picture Books Poll: What We've Read

We posted before about the results of Fuse #8 Production's Top 100 Picture Book Poll of 2009.  Bookworm's Booklist is asking bloggers to repost the top 30 books from the list and highlight the books that we've read with our children.  We have some work to do, but I think we've done pretty well for 18 months.  The red ones are the ones we've read.

#1: Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak (1963)

#2: Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown (1947)

#3: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (1979)

#4: The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats (1962)

#5: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems (2003)

#6: Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey (1941)

#7: Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson (1955)

#8: Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans (1939)

#9: Millions of Cats by Wanda Gag (1928)

#10: Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale by Mo Willems (2004)

#11: The Story of Ferdinand y Monroe Leaf, ill. Robert Lawson (1936)

#12: Good Night Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann (1994)

#13: Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey (1948)

#14: The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka, ill. Lane Smith(1989)

#15: Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes (1996)

#16: Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (1987)

#17: Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina (1947)

#18: In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak (1970)

#19: Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney (1982)

#20: George and Martha by James Marshall (1972)

#21: Bark, George by Jules Feiffer (1999)

#22: The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone, ill. by Mike Smollin (1971)

#23: Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban, illustrated by Lillian Hoban (1964)

#24: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, Jr. and John Archambault, ill. Lois Ehlert (1989)

#25: The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton (1942)

#26: Corduroy by Donald Freeman (1976)

#27: The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter (1902)

#28: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst, ill. Ray Cruz(1972)

#29: Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig (1969)

#30: Brown, Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See? by Bill Martin Jr., ill. Eric Carle (1967)


Which book that we have NOT highlighted do you think we should read next?  I'm thinking maybe Blueberries for Sal, because our little guy LOVES freeze-dried blueberries, so that might appeal to him.  I'm also curious about Bread and Jam for Frances.

17 comments:

Bookworm said...

Ahhh! You're so much fun! Thanks for particpating!

First off, I do NOT recommend #14. I'll leave it at that. ;-)

Second of all, you HAVE to read CORDUROY by Don Freeman A.S.A.P.! Don Freeman's books are just so delightful.

I've heard Knuffle Bunny is a MUST read!

Thanks for suggesting Mo Williams on my blog!

Great to do this with you! Thanks again for participating!

By the way, did you see Allie's Sunday Spotlight was YOUR blog? YEAH!

Britt said...

Bread and Jam for Frances is cute, but he's young enough that the story might be a bit lost on him. My older one liked it, but I haven't tried to read it to the younger one.
Knuffle Bunny is really cute, especially if he has a special stuffed animal he's attached to!

Sarah said...

I love #28. It was a favorite when I was a little girl.

Christy said...

I posted our list too. I would definitely recommend Corduroy and Knuffle Bunny but I do think my children were older than your son when we first read those books. I'll have to get some freeze dried blueberries because we are big fans of blueberries but haven't tried them dried - my daughter loves them frozen! Blueberries for Sal is a wonderful book. Thanks for posting your list.

MaryAnne said...

We love Blueberries for Sal, it's a great story!

I'm with Bookworm in not being a fan of #14.

Kristy said...

I really enjoy caps for sale. It helps with counting. There are so many fun activities you can do with this book.

Britt said...

Oh, I love #14. But little kids don't get it, really. I don't think my older one understood it.

#28 is also fun!

Jennifer said...

I'd go for Bark George. I'm betting he'd love the animals and the noises. This is a storytime staple for me - sometimes I tell it with puppets and do a little singy thing for the refrain "Bark George, bark George, open your mouth and bark George."

Karen said...

Caps for sale!!!!

Karen said...

I'll add that I think Bark George is a clunker. I love the story, but the illustrations are a little funky and slightly gross for a young child. Obviously, many people disagree with me and like it!

Infant Bibliophile said...

Thanks for all of the suggestions (and warnings)! I'll put a few on hold soon and work my way through the list. :) I'm sure we'll be reading them more than once over the years, because like some of you have said, he's a little young to really appreciate them fully yet. Still, he often surprises me, and everything we read seems to expand his mind and communication skills in some way, so I'll give them all a try eventually.

Letters,Numbers and Books said...

CORDUROY!!!!! all the way!!!

don't like #14 either!

Letters,Numbers and Books said...

oh i didn't see that you hadn't read Bark George that is super super cute!!!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

I agree with Christy, Knuffle Bunny and Corduroy are favorites in this household. Although, we just read them this past year and Emily is now five, so quite a bit older than your little guy. She loved Corduroy so much that my MIL went to the Build-a-Bear workshop and made one for her. She sleeps with Corduroy every night!

Infant Bibliophile said...

OK, so far I've put Bark George, the original Corduroy book, Corduroy goes to the Library, and Corduroy goes to the Fire Station on hold! We're moving this week, so we might not pick them up for awhile, but I'll probably add a few more from the list too (Caps for Sale sounds good!). I won't work my way through the whole list right away, because I have to remember to let his interests guide our book choices too (which explains all of the cars and trucks!), but I'm sure we'll get to them eventually. Thanks for all of the advice. :)

SkylarKD said...

I have a little blueberry lover, so I'll have to read Blueberries for Sal. We're big fans of Maurice Sendak here, and my daughter loves Corduroy too. Our list is here:

http://paintingpinkpajamas.blogspot.com/2009/06/summer-reading-top-30-childrens-picture.html

GummyMommy said...

Just wanted to say that I love your blog and your reviews.. I found you through another favorite, notimeforflascards, and I'm hooked !!

My own list: http://lifewithgummy.blogspot.com/2009/06/top-picture-books-what-weve-read.html