Monday, June 15, 2009

Review: Llama Llama Red Pajama

Llama Llama Red Pajama (Hardcover), by Anna Dewdney. I just love the "llama llama" series. Llama Llama Red Pajama finds llama in bed (after reading a story with his mama, of course!), calling for a drink from his mama. I like that his bed is covered by a nice bright patchwork quilt (which he hides under at one point). When mama gets busy and doesn't appear right away, llama gets increasingly worried. A typical "llama drama" tantrum ensues, followed by mama llama's gentle reasoning. The rhyming language of these books is delightful to read aloud. I read MANY books to our son, but the books in this series are among my favorites to read. I think I'll buy a copy this week.

Excerpt:

"Llama llama red pajama waiting waiting for his mama. / Mama isn't coming yet. Baby Llama starts to fret."

Bookworm's interest at 18 months: He enjoys this, usually signing for more when we're done. I think my enthusiasm for it must have spilled over somewhat. He has just started sleeping in his own bed this week, so the timing of us getting it from the library ended up being perfect.




I posted this book as part of the Weekly Geeks activity this week, which asks readers to submit questions for me to include in the review.

Becky from Becky's Book Reviews asks:
I love Bark George! (NOTE: reviewing coming soon) And I also love Llama Llama Red Pajama! So I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on those.

Do either of these have the again-again appeal? 

Have you read the other Llama Llama books? If you have, which is your favorite?
Answer: We also love Llama Llama Mad At Mama (you can read our review here), which we were lucky enough to pick up at a library book sale. And thanks to the recommendation of Christy at Superheroes and Princesses, we'll be hunting down Llama Llama Misses Mama soon too (and, according to Nouveau Soccer Mom Shannon, an upcoming one about going to school!). Maybe I should just skip the library step and order it. You know I'll love it. Hmm, I don't think I have a favorite between the two I've read. I find the formula quite similar for both of them. The little guy loves that Llama is playing with trucks at the beginning of Llama Llama Mad At Mama, but he will read both about equally. It doesn't have the same "again again" appeal as truck books around here, but he has brought it to me a few times, and never really says no to reading it. The books contain many things for him to relate to -- playing with toys, visiting the supermarket, reading books with mama, sleeping in his own bed, getting a drink of water, etc., and that keeps it interesting for him, in addition to the fun text and beautiful illustrations.

We'll be working our way through the other Weekly Geeks review requests over the course of the week, but in the meantime, here are some questions for you:

I'm having trouble deciding lately which books to buy our own copies of. It was easy when we were reading board books, because they only cost a few dollars, but picture books cost more, and he seems to enjoy many. How do you decide when to purchase a copy of books you've read and loved from the library?

In terms of fun books to read aloud, I also love Hand Hand Fingers Thumb, The Monster at the End of This Book, There is a Bird on Your Head!, Chicka, Chicka Boom Boom (singing really), and Trucks Go!. Sandra Boynton's books can be a lot of fun to read too. What are your favorite books to read aloud?

5 comments:

teachingyoungchildren said...

Anna was not a big fan of Llama-Llama once she understood the story. I think that she didn't like the idea of poor baby Llama waiting for his mama and mama not responding. She never chooses this book voluntariry.

Our favorite read-alouds include "You read to me, I'll read to you" - a great book of funny poems, "Good Night, Moon", "A Very Hungry Caterpillar", "Going to Bed Book" by Sandra Boynton, "Marvin K Mooney" by Dr Seuss, and whatever strikes Anna's fancy at the moment.

Christy said...

I buy way too many books because we just love books and my children have trouble parting with library books if they really love them. Recently, our favorite read alouds have been Each Peach Pear Plum, What a Wonderful World (we sing this, of course), and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. We are huge Sandra Boynton fans too, especially the Belly Button Book and Doggies.

Brimful Curiosities said...

We haven't read any of the Llama Llama books yet. Guess we'll have to try one sometime. Both my kids really love the Pigeon series by Mo Willems. REALLY, REALLY love them. Also have bought "Too Many Toys" by Shannon after reading it at the library. Duck! Rabbit! is a bit hit as well. If I end up checking out a book more than twice from a library, I'll usually break down and buy our own copy.

MotherReader said...

I would buy the picture books that I hated to return to the library. In fact, I still do.

The ones that stick with you are the best indication of the ones that will go the distance. And because you love them, when you read them aloud that joy will be evident to your child.

Lisa said...

I love the phrase "llama drama" and I find the books a lot of fun to read. The boys don't seem to find them favorites like I do. Well, I guess I haven't tried them on the Bug lately so he might like them now.