Saturday, June 13, 2009

Review Pile (Ask Us a Question!)

 

It's been awhile since I've participated in a "Weekly Geeks" activity, but this one seemed fitting to our life lately.  This week asks participants to:

1. In your blog, list any books you’ve read but haven’t reviewed yet...
2. Ask your readers to ask you questions about any of the books they want. In your comments, not in their blogs...
3. Later, take whichever questions you like from your comments and use them in a post about each book. Link to each blogger next to that blogger’s question(s).
4. Visit other Weekly Geeks and ask them some questions!
Since we just moved this week, I have some books I know we've read and would like to review, but they are hiding in boxes and bags!  While unpacking, I also unearthed a hefty pile of books (mostly library sale finds) that we haven't yet reviewed (many because they're a bit beyond our little man's age level at the moment).  This will be a great "to do" list for me to have on the blog.

Here is the list.  Feel free to comment with any questions or to point out which books you would be interested in seeing a review of.

First, the ones we'll definitely get to reviews of within the next week or two.  If you ask a question, I'll include an answer in the review and link to your blog:
  • Bark, George!  (Jules Feiffer)
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama (Anna Dewdney)
  • Swing!  (A Scanimation Picture Book) (Rufus Butler Seder)
  • Where's My Cow?  (Terry Pratchett)

And the other "someday" pile.  I'd like to review a few of these soon, because we had a chance to sit down and read  some of them together before the move.  The others I might only review soon if people show interest.  Otherwise I'll wait until our little reader takes a liking to them:
  • Amanda Pig On Her Own (Jean Van Leeuwen)
  • Backyard Birds of Summer (Carol Lerner)
  • Boy Meets Girl / Girl Meets Boy (Raschka/Radunsky)
  • Change-up Baseball Poems (Fehler)(Oops, I thought I had posted about this give-away win already)
  • Disney's The Lion King
  • Frogs, Tods, Lizards, and Salamanders (Nancy Winslow Parker and Joan Richards Wright)
  • I Can Run, Fun With Our Animal Friends (Laura Wallace)
  • Kokopelli and the Island of Change (Michael Sterns)
  • Littlest Pet Shop Best Friends (Quinlan Lee)
  • Merry Christmas Everywhere (Arlene Erlbach)(I'll save this for a Christmas post)
  • Mirette on the High Wire (Emily Arnold McCully)
  • Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (Gail Herman)
  • Noah's Ark (Little Golden Book)
  • Rainy Day Fun Book (Donna Erickson)
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Big Golden Book)(I'll save this for a Christmas post)
  • The Castaway (James Stevenson)
  • The Cowgirl Aunt of Harriet Bean (Alexander McCall Smith)
  • The Monsters' Picnic (Sesame Street Little Golden Book)
  • The Pirate Princess and Other Fairy Tales (Neil Philip)
  • The Poky Little Puppy (Little Golden Book)
  • What's Up in the Attic? (Sesame Street Little Golden Book)
I have my guess as to which of these (if any) will garner a few questions, but I'm looking forward to seeing if I'm right...

18 comments:

Rikki said...

I'd love to see your review of Where's my cow? We've got it and love it.

Becky said...

I love Bark George! And I also love Llama Llama Red Pajama! So I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on those.

Do either of these have the again-again appeal?

Have you read the other Llama Llama books? If you have, which is your favorite?

Sandra said...

Very nice selection. I don't read children's books but I do have a question. What does your crafty Mama read?

Infant Bibliophile said...

Sandra, "crafty Mama" never seems to have time to read anymore, but I'm trying to remedy that. I always used to read on my commute to work, and as a SAHM, I've lost my commute. I'm in a couple of book groups, so I have to pick up the pace again. Pre-motherhood I read just about any genre (I don't really like short stories as much, and not so much horror, although I had my Stephen King phase). I'd find an author, read everything he or she wrote voraciously and move on. Some authors I've enjoyed in the past, off the top of my head, are Joyce Carol Oates, Adrian Trigiani, Audrey Niffenegger, John Irving, Eric Segal... And on the crafty front, I love quilting books.

Infant Bibliophile said...

Thanks Rikki and Becky,
I'll be sure to review those soon and include your questions/comments.

Christy said...

Oh, we LOVE all of the Llama Llama books. I can't wait to read your review of the scanimation book. We have the scanimation book, Gallop and it is a cool book that amazed my children the first few times we looked at it, but it definitely didn't have any staying power. They are no longer interested in the book.

Christy said...

Also, I love John Irving.

anothercookiecrumbles said...

I've not read most of these! Have to ask though, is Lion King, the book, as good as the movie?

Is there a favorite Xmas book?

Happy Weekly Geeks. Looking forward to some of the reviews =)

Shannon said...

Ooh, we love the Llama Llama books too! Per my mom, there is a third one coming out where little llama goes to school.

In terms of reviews, I'm curious about "Backyard Birds of Summer" because the boy & I are starting a thematic unit on birds and the girl wants to join in. Hence, I need to bulk up the materials I have to accommodate an almost 2nd grader. :o)

Oh, and have you read any of the "food" books by Amy Wilson Sanger? Those were our favorites when the kids were little, especially the "First Book of Sushi".

gautami tripathy said...

I haven't read any. I would like to know more about ALL the books.

:D

WG: Review Catch up

Kristen said...

The Poky Little Puppy is a classic - I have fond memories of this book, I'll have to find it for my own little readers

Louise said...

Do you have any thoughts of how Disney has "Disney-fied" many of the original stories and made them more "cute", even though the original stories were also aimed at children?

Christy said...

We have the third Llama Llama book. It is Llama Llama Misses Mama and it is just as good as the other two. My son will be starting Kindergarten in the fall and my daughter is starting a 2 day preschool program and the book is perfect for them.

Dreamybee said...

I would like to hear more about Kokopelli and the Island of Change just because that doesn't seem to be a very common theme in kids' books. Also, the Pokey Little Puppy only because that was one of my favorites as a kid and it would be nice to revisit it. :)

pussreboots said...

Did you get the Pratchett book for yourself or for kids?

bookwormans said...

OMG, I love "What's Up in the Attic"! Never thought I'd see that book on a blog post. What other Sesame Street books do you like? Another favorite of mine is "Scared of the Dark" also starring Bert and Ernie.

Eva said...

What age group is Llama Llama Red Pajama aimed at? I have a three-year-old niece who loves animals, do you think she'd enjoy it?

Infant Bibliophile said...

Eva, I think she'd love it, although every child is different of course. At 18 months, I think my son is still a little young for it, although he does enjoy it. So my guess is that three is about right. Amazon says baby-preschool. That seems a strange cutoff to me. Amazon reader comments seem to reflect enjoyment by a wide range of ages, and they all love it (5/5 average rating with 147 customer reviews).