Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It's sleepy time

Shhhhh! Everybody's Sleeping (Hardcover), by Julie Markes. I love it when I grab a random library book on my way out the door in a rush and it turns out to be a hit. (There Are Cats In This Book was another recent example of that). The text in this bright, beautifully illustrated picture book is simple and sweet; each page features a different adult sleeping peacefully in bed, surrounded by items unique to their professions. A teacher, a baker, a policeman, a fireman, and many more ... all tucked in. The book concludes: "And you know who SHOULD be sleeping, just like the sun? Good night, sleep tight, my sweet little one." The illustrations of the different adults are all quite detailed and fun, and I love the illustration of the boy sleeping (similar to the cover photo, but instead of the stuffed bunny, the boys hands are resting by his face); something about the pose looks just like the way my son would be sleeping.
Excerpt:
"The postman is sleeping. Delivered the mail. / The farmer is sleeping. Hay's in a bale."

Bookworm's interest at 20 months: He particularly enjoys the two-page spread with the policeman, because he's surrounded by toy cars. Also, the very last page contains a drawing of a couple of monkeys sleeping, and he loves that image.



You can read reviews of other sleep-related children's books here. I can't say that these "sleepy" books really help to put our son to sleep. Do you have any books that are yawn-inducing? That doesn't sound complementary, I suppose ... unless you are the parent of a young toddler, in which case, it is high praise.

We haven't been posting as many reviews this summer (although I've just scheduled a few for this week), but in the meantime, you can access a list with links to all of our previous reviews of children's books here. If you have a favorite that you'd like to see included, let me know and I'll add it to our "to be read" pile.


4 comments:

Christy said...

Oh, that book looks great! We are heading out on vacation to upstate NY for a few days so I won't be around to read your blog, but I'll catch up when we get back.

Raising a Happy Child said...

It sounds interesting, I should look for it in the library. I have to say - I have never found the book yet that would put my daughter to sleep. She always wants yet another one, so I am just setting the limit of maximum of two before bed.

MaryAnne said...

This sounds like a cute bedtime story book!

The only sleep-inducing book I've ever found is the Mary Kate and Ashley Disney princess book I wrote about here:

http://thriftycraftmama.blogspot.com/2009/05/books-my-children-fight-over.html

It was the book's main redeeming quality, but my daughter eventually caught on to the fact that it was putting her to sleep and quit letting me read it at bedtime, so the success was short-lived.

Infant Bibliophile said...

Well, I guess we're not alone then! I keep reading about people whose husbands put their children to bed by reading books... here our routine is to read (about 20!) books with Daddy, then come to Mommy for sleep. I'm not sure how to eliminate myself from the equation, because it seems like he'd never go to sleep when there was one more book to read.