Friday, July 24, 2009

Making our way through some "classics"

We posted awhile back about the results of a top picture books poll, and the two books below were items on the list that we had not yet read.  Thank you to those who recommended them to us in the comments to that post!

Bark, George (Library Binding), by Jules Feiffer. A humorous tale about a dog that refuses to bark, much to his mother's chagrin, has earned this book a spot in many people's "favorites" list. I can see why. An explorative veterinarian gets to the root of the problem, much to the amusement of young (and old) readers.

Excerpt:

"'Bark, George.' / George went: 'Meow.' / 'No, George,' said George's mother. 'Cats go meow. Dogs go arf. Now, bark, George.' / George went: 'Quack-quack.'"

Bookworm's interest at 19 months: So-so. I don't think he understands the humor, but he enjoys seeing the animals.



Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business (Hardcover), by Esphyr Slobodkina. I remembered seeing this title in a list of favorite children's books that was circulated recently, so when I saw it displayed atop a library bookshelf, I swiped it up. The story involves a cap salesman who comically walks around with all of his caps piled on his head (with no customers to be had). When he naps under a tree, some mischievous monkeys rob him on his hats, until he accidentally manages to outwit them and get his caps back.

Excerpt:

"Once there was a peddler who sold caps. But he was not like an ordinary peddler carrying his wares on his back. He carried them on top of his head. First, he had on his own checked cap, then a bunch of gray caps, then a bunch of brown caps, then a bunch of blue caps, and on the very top a bunch of red caps."

Bookworm's interest at 20 months: He didn't want to sit through this one. We'll try again when he is a little older.



4 comments:

Pam said...

I LOVE Caps for Sale! My 16 month old will sit through very little so we read to hm while he's playing. He "reads" on his own in his little chair so I know he's getting the general concept of reading. Sitting still may take a few years, though. :)

Infant Bibliophile said...

Pam, we've been lucky in that our little guy has always been willing to sit on our laps and read, right up through 20 months so far. He will shake his head no at some books, but there is always one in the pile that he'll sit still for... especially if we let him choose. Your approach to reading sounds like my approach to eating... I feed him while he plays half the time, because he'll never sit still to eat! :)

Librarian Mommy said...

I also tried Caps for Sale with my kids when they were the same age as your son. They just couldn't sit through it. I love the story and I know how much kids love it when they are a bit older - more like 4 or 5. The same with Bark George...we own that book and I read it to my 3 year old twins last week - they still do not understand what is going on, but they love seeing the animals too. I want to share soo many popular books with my kids, but many are just still too sophisticated. I just need a little patience....

MaryAnne said...

"Bark, George" sounds cute - we'll have to borrow it from the library. Both my kids love dogs, so I'm guessing they would enjoy this book!