Thursday, July 16, 2009

Our summer reading: Spotlight on Richard Scarry

We haven't been posting reviews as often lately, but the "infant bibliophile" has been reading as much as ever.  I'm hoping to post reviews this week of some of the  books he's been particularly enjoying lately.  I'll start today with two new (to us) Richard Scarry books:

Cars and Trucks and Things That Go (Giant Little Golden Book) (Hardcover), by Richard Scarry. 69 pages full of Richard Scarry's trademark illustrations and madcap adventures involving all sorts of vehicles piloted by pigs, bunny rabbits, foxes, dogs, cats, and turtles (among others). Those who love Richard Scarry's other books won't be disappointed, and those just discovering his work will quickly come to appreciate his silly, busy style.

Excerpt:

"The baggage compartment on the bus has come open. Someone's things are flying out! Duck, Pa! Duck, Ma! Oh dear, Ma didn't duck soon enough."

Bookworm's interest at 20 months: He loves all of Scarry's books, and this one is no exception. He likes to have the text read to him, or to be quizzed on finding particular objects. A little "goldbug" is hiding on every page, and he delights in that challenge. The illustrations are so full of detail that he is constantly learning new vocabulary from perusing the book with me.



Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever / El mejor libro de palabras de Richard Scarry (Richard Scarry's Best Books Ever) (Hardcover), by Luna Rising Editors. We enjoyed the English version of this one so much that I decided that we had to add it to our home library (which I don't do all that often). I had trouble finding a copy, though, and could only find the bilingual edition. I'm glad, really, because it has everything the English version does, in addition to italicized Spanish translations beneath every word. It's a fantastic resource for learning Spanish, or just enjoying it in English. What I really liked about this book was the breadth of topics covered. Each two-page spread focuses on a different category, like farm life, the playground, the dentist's office, a drive in the country, the circus, etc. About 15 words are identified per page, with over 64 full pages.

Bookworm's interest at 20 months: After getting it from the library, we bought it, so that shows how much he loved it. Particularly cute things he does with this book: when he sees the Merry-Go-Round, he stands up wherever he is and spins around. When he sees the "upside down car," he insists on turning the book upside down to show that he can fix it. When he sees the toy robot, he does his own talking like a robot thing (think: "I am a robot" in a monotone voice, only he doesn't talk yet, so it's a monotone "abadaba." Totally worth buying the book for!).



I had no idea that Richard Scarry was born in Boston, Massachusetts. Wikipedia has an interesting article about him. To see other Richard Scarry books, we love, you can read our review of Richard Scarry's Biggest Word Book Ever, our review of Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks from A to Z, and our review of Richard Scarry's Colors. We're also huge fans of Rotraut Susanne Berner's In The Town All Year 'Round, which is often compared to Richard Scarry's style.


The little guy and I are excited to be participating in a children's book "show and tell" at a moms group next week. I think one or two of the above books will definitely be coming along. I don't know how we'll ever decide what books to bring (or rather, what books to leave home!). What would you bring? I'm thinking one Scarry book, In the Town All Year 'Round, Bubblebath Pirates, Counting Colors, maybe a Llama Llama book...that's probably already too many, but there are so many choices!




7 comments:

Christy said...

I had no idea Richard Scarry was born in Boston.

My children have two favorite books right now: Each Peach Pear Plum and What a Wonderful World so I would bring those.

Kristen said...

I absolutely adore your site! I have an award for you on mine http://bookwormkristen.blogspot.com/2009/07/award.html

Raising a Happy Child said...

Since I am not raised on English literature, I had no idea of Richard Scurry until we got "Cars and Trucks.." as a present. My daughter was about 18 months at a time, and it was love at the first sight. I am sure that my daughter would have chosen her current favorites for show and tell, and they happen to change every week.

Infant Bibliophile said...

Thanks so much Kristen!
"Raising a Happy Child" -- we love the cars and trucks ones too! I'm not sure that my son knows what a pickle is, but he can certainly point out a pickle car. I wonder if he'll think we're crazy when he sees us eat one someday.

Infant Bibliophile said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MaryAnne said...

Thanks to the link to the wikipedia article, I didn't know he was born in Boston either (or any of the other interesting things that article had to say about him).

Chels said...

What a great reading blog. You write reviews well! I'm always on the lookout for a recommended read.

If you'd like to link a review to my post, Bookworm Beginnings, I would love it!
http://fantasticfind.blogspot.com/2009/10/bookworm-beginnings.html