Saturday, August 29, 2009

Library loan? No thank you.

I'm a big fan of the public library, but there is at least one kind of book that I feel a bit squeamish taking out on library loan...  you know just where those books about potty training have been.  A few weeks ago, I placed an order for a yellow Babybjorn Potty Chair (he was very excited about the idea of a yellow seat coming in the mail for him)  and an Attachable Toilet Trainer  to go on the big toilet.  I added this book to our order:

A Potty for Me!: A Lift-the-Flap Instruction Manual (Hardcover), by Karen Katz. Karen Katz has authored books to delight young readers on every topic from belly buttons to holidays, so why not potty training too? Although her books are usually referred to as "lift the flap" (as in the subtitle), the book doesn't have what I normally think of as flaps (tiny windows which reveal hidden items). Instead, each page on the right hand side of the book folds out to reveal another page underneath. The story, paired with bright cheerful illustrations, walks a child through the appearance of a first potty, a few attempts at using it, and ultimate success. I like the patient attitude of the parents which shows in the text.

Excerpt:

"Mommy got me a brand new potty! But I'm not ready yet! I want to run and play. Uh-oh, I peed in my pants. But Mommy says, 'That's okay!'"

Bookworm's interest at 21 months: He enjoys reading the book. He requests it to be read at least twice in a row. I'm not sure if he understands what's going on in the book or not. (We are having some success in the potty training, but I'll spare you the details.)

Parent's Peeve: I admit that reading this book aloud still kind of gives me the inner giggles, but I think it accomplishes what it aims to, with all of the right messages (it's OK if you're not ready yet, accidents are no big deal, just keep trying, etc.).




Do you have any potty training books in your arsenal?  Feel free to comment and share them.  

Are there any books you don't like to take out of the library?  (I never liked how a lot of the infant board books had chewed up corners, so I'd try to steer us toward the newest additions to the collection).


9 comments:

Christy said...

We used the Baby Bjorn potty and LOVED it. I had used others before and nothing even came close to being as good as this potty. I like the toilet seat too. We actually still have the potty in my car just in case we have an emergency and no bathroom in sight.

I really like the Once Upon a Potty books. They are a bit strange but I like them. I also liked The Potty Book for Boys/Girls by Capucilli. I would never borrow potty books from the library. Our potty books spent way too much time in the bathroom to even think about that.

Infant Bibliophile said...

So far the little yellow one is really just for fun, and he has actually "gone" in the big toilet with the attached white seat. I hated to spend the money on them, but I made myself think of the money we'd save on diapers!

Jennifer said...

I always wince a bit when I see people checking out the more...germ-prone of our books. We do try to clean the boardbooks regularly, but it doesn't always happen. I have to admit I've always thought potty books/moves were pretty silly - I had four siblings and we never used anything like that - but people check 'em out, so I get 'em!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

I was always squeamish whenever Emily wants to check out anything from the "Walter the Farting Dog" series. Thankfully, she has her own library card now!!

Rebecca said...

I need a book - we're starting potty training and I need a little something for him to read that says it's okay etc! thanks

Kristi said...

Ok - I admit - I giggled when I read your comment ". . .accomplishes what it AIMS to. . ."

Lisa said...

I don't like to check out any of the board books from my library, they all look so ratty and chewed on.

The Pirate didn't like any of the books about potties, but he did and still does love the Elmo Potty Time DVD. We were just watching it last week and he's been potty trained for 1.5 years. Like all sesame st shows, it has a bunch of different skit things all about potties, washing hands, how toliet paper is made, little songs about trying again both in potty matters and just things like learning to walk, and then the things that make them (and us) giggle. If yours watches any tv, this is a good one to look for.

Stephanie said...

We have a fun book called "Have You Seen My Potty?" It's a rhyming one - and it's tons of fun to read aloud. :)

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Stephanie said...

Oh, and I have to agree with Christy. BabyBjorn makes great potty products.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net