Thursday, August 27, 2009

Lovable furry old Grover

One of my favorite childhood books was The Monster at the End of this Book (which we reviewed here).  I was delighted this week to receive two other books written by the same author -- Jon Stone -- starring "lovable furry old Grover."  I think they might both be out of print, but I'm going to review them anyway, because there are plenty of places to find used copies of them (amazon.com and ebay, of course, and maybe even your local library).   

Lovable, Furry Old Grover's Resting Places (Paperback), by Jon Stone. In this fun book, Grover forages through his toy box to come up with little shapes (most often, circles), which he holds up and deems "resting places" for various body parts -- an elbow, an ear, and even a bellybutton. Readers are encouraged to rest the appropriate body part on the designated spot. A fun, interactive read, sure to delight fans of the ever-popular The Monster At the End of This Book.

Excerpt:

"Behold! An EAR RESTING PLACE - one of my all-time favorites. TRY IT! Put your tired old ear right on it. Now rest the other one. It works for both of them."

Bookworm's interest at 21 months: He wasn't very interested, but I think I'll try again tomorrow. I have a feeling I can get him hooked if I can explain the concept of resting your body part on the page.

Parent's Peeve: I couldn't imagine what the book was about when I saw the title. A "resting place" to me involves a cemetary. But luckily children won't have that preconception anyway.



Hide and Seek: with Lovable, Furry Old Grover (Paperback), by Jon Stone. "Would you like to play Hide & Seek in this book with lovable, furry old Grover? Please say yes!" The cover says it all. Grover tries to hide all over the book -- at the top of the page, the bottom, squeezing into the middle, painting the pages blue to camouflage himself, scrunching paper around him, behind dialogue balloons, etc. His escalatingly exasperated voice makes for a funny book -- a delight for Grover fans.

Excerpt:

"You know, if you were my good friend, I would try to hide, and even if you saw me you could pretend that you did not see me. If you were my good friend you could. I will hide one more time."

Bookworm's interest at 21 months: I couldn't get him to sit through this one either (we're 0 for 3 on the Jon Stone Grover books, but I still love them!). Hopefully he'll enjoy them when he's older.

Parent's Peeve: I love these books. Elmo has NOTHING on Grover.



Do you remember these from your childhood? Own copies now? Let us know what you think of them.

4 comments:

Christy said...

I love Grover too. I have fond memories of him on Sesame Street. I used to love him as the waiter - funny stuff. We have, and love, The Monster at the End of this Book but we have not read these. I'll have to look for them. Thanks.

Green Mamma said...

Annabelle (and her dad) are huge fans of the Monster at the End of this Book; we picked it up when she was just an infant and it is currently a favorite 2 years later, :-)

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Oh, yes, yes, yes, we love There is a Monster at the End of this Book! Mark had a really old copy of it from when he was a kid, and it is one of Emily's absolute favorites!! Grover is so funny!!!

So Smrt said...

Oh, Oh, I loved that book! I think it was the novel idea that Grover was talking to ME. Ah, thanks for the memories! :)