Friday, August 7, 2009

Richard Scarry is not my uncle

... or my brother, or grandparent, or any other affiliated relative or friend (don't I wish). Our little guy just loves his books. So we keep reading more, and then I can't help telling everyone about them. Here's our latest find:

Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever! (Giant Little Golden Book) (Hardcover), by Richard Scarry. As the cover boasts, this thick (288-page!) tome includes "82 wonderful stories for boys and girls." Some "stories" will look very familiar to those who have read Richard Scarry's other picture books, with pages identifying different work vehicles and foods, for instance. But unlike the other Scarry books we've read, this one also includes a number of short tales - some suited for children as young as ours (1 1/2) and others with more lengthy text for an older child. It also includes nursery rhymes and poems or stories about colors, months of the year, the alphabet, shapes, and numbers, among others. I might be mistaken, but there don't seem to be any pickle cars, apple cars, etc. here, so if you're looking for that kind of trademark Scarry silliness, you'll want to check out one of his other word books. I guess it's because I don't have a page-ripper, but I love this book all the more for not being a board book. It seems like one that we'd treasure for years as he grows into the rest of the stories. Oh no, I might feel ANOTHER Richard Scarry purchase coming on.

Excerpt:

"Goodnight, Little Bear. by Patrician Scarry. It is time for Little bear to go to bed. Mother Bear closes the storybook. She gives Little Bear a good-night kiss. / Then over to his big furry father runs the little bear. Wheee! Father Bear swings his little one high up to his shoulders for a ride to bed. / 'Duck your head,' calls Mother Bear, just in time. And into the snug little bedroom they go."

Bookworm's interest at 20 months: He loves it. Already familiar with the picture identification pages from Scarry's other books, he honed in on those right away, but there are also some new favorites, like a story about colors. His only complaint is that he loves to count the three crosses on the ambulances in Scarry's books ("Unnn!, two!, eeeee!"), and the ambulances in this book only have ONE cross each.




You can read about our other Richard Scarry favorites here.

6 comments:

Christy said...

I tried a Scarry book recently and he still does not appeal to us, but maybe this book would be better since it has stories. The word books drive me cuckoo!

Infant Bibliophile said...

I remember thinking they were overly busy and kind of nonsensical when I first saw them, but our son loves being quizzed to find things in them. And when he loves a book, it grows on me.

Quinn said...

My son wore out his Scarry book. I started the same way, too difficult to read. But when you start to play hunt and find then wow it starts to become really interesting. We love to look for goldbug.

Librarian Mommy said...

I made the mistake of showing my 3 year old twins the Busytown DVD. Now we must look at Richard Scarry books everyday! Which is the book that has goldbug? I have What Do People Do? and that doesn't have goldbug.

Infant Bibliophile said...

Librarian Mommy,
Your post is eerily timed -- I JUST told my husband that I need to edit our post about Cars and Trucks and Things That Go to talk about goldbug! That's the book that has it. Honestly, I didn't realize it until this week, because I tend not to pay all that much attention to the text other than the item titles. But we spend a good 30 minutes to an hour this morning looking for goldbug on every page and then did it again tonight before bed. Our son loves hunting for him.

Infant Bibliophile said...

This is my post reviewing Cars and Trucks and Things That Go: http://tinyurl.com/mqcaym