Thursday, August 13, 2009

There Are Cats In This Blog Post

I was trying to get our little guy out of the library playspace this week without tears, so I led him to the stacks of books and told him we could get There Are Cats in This Book out again. He ran excitedly alongside me until we realized it wasn't available. Oops. Not wanting to lose momentum, I asked if he wanted to find another book about cats ("meow meows" to him). He did, and we enlisted the help of a kind librarian. He showed me a trick I didn't know about, which will come in very handy. In the library's online catalog, I knew we could search by subject, but I didn't realize we could enter "cats juvenile fiction," for instance, to bring up picture books about cats within the children's section of the library. Score! There were thousands, but we didn't have to look far, because he led us over to the shelves and pulled two of his favorites. We actually sat down and read them there in the library (he's much better about reading in the library and doesn't get overstimulated nearly as much anymore), and he loved them both. We highly recommend them - the first for a younger child than the second one, although he enjoys both at 20 months, and they'd certainly be suitable for children older than him too.

Kitten's First Full Moon (Hardcover), by Kevin Henkes. Black and white drawings pair with bold text in this charming tale about a kitten who mistakes the moon for a bowl of milk. The language is perfect for a toddler; fairly short and straightforward. It concludes happily (of course).

Excerpt:

"It was Kitten's first full moon. When she saw it, she thought, There's a little bowl of milk in the sky. And she wanted it."

Bookworm's interest at 20 months: He enjoys this one very much. He says "muhmuh" when we start, and I can never quite discern whether he is calling the circle a moon or milk. If I say, "is that milk?" he'll say no. If I say "is it a moon?" he'll say yes. If I ask if the kitten thinks it is milk, he will occasionally make the sign for milk. Is he picking up on the fact that the kitten is mistaken? I'm not sure, but I think he's close to getting it.




Cat Up a Tree (Hardcover), by Ann Hassett. This is one of those picture books that parents delight in reading as much as children enjoy having it read to them. Nana Quimby notices a cat in a tree and calls the fire station to come help. She's out of luck, as the fire station doesn't rescue cats anymore. The cats begin multiplying, and she can find no help despite her increasingly frantic calls to the police station, library, post office, etc., culminating in a last ditch call to City Hall. In the end, her frustration with speaking to City Hall (who can't sympathize?) leads her to toss the phone right out the window. The open window and cord create a path for the cats to all hop into her house, where she appears happy to welcome them. In the amusing twist of an ending, all of the places she called begin calling HER now, for help with mice. This is a fun book, and it offers plenty of opportunities for counting, as the cats increase in number with every turn of the page.

Excerpt:

"Nana Quimby went to the window and counted five cats up the tree. She rang the police station. 'Help!' she cried. 'Five cats up a tree.' 'Sorry,' said the police station, 'we do not catch cats up a tree. Call back if the cats rob a bank.'"

Bookworm's interest at 20 months: I'm a little surprised each time that he makes it all the way to the end, because the text is a little longer than he'll usually sit still for, but so far he has completed it nearly every time. He loves when I count the cats, so he points to them and prompts me to do that.

Parent's Peeve: Near the end, the text uses the (as far as I know, non-) word "mouses" once.




Other books about cats that we've enjoyed (the link brings you to our review):
Kitty Up!
My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
The Cat in the Hat
The Pudgy Peek-A-Boo Book
There Are Cats in This Book



Do you have any other favorite feline books?

13 comments:

Christy said...

Kitten's First Full Moon is a favorite in our house. I have never heard of the other book though. I'll look for it at the library.

Belle said...

These look like fun books. Thanks for the search tip! I'm hoping our library online catalogue works the same way. My son is nuts for trains, and it would be wonderful to find more train picture books for him!

Infant Bibliophile said...

Belle, I went back today and tried it myself. It's not the subject search but a keyword search apparently. Hope it works for you too!

Jennifer said...

Depending on your library's cataloging software, it's probably a subject search - and subjects depend on the librarians who wrote them. You should probably try "locomotives" as a subject as well as "trains". One of my favorite tricks - search a book you know is what you want (for example, Donald Crews' Freight Train). Look at the detailed record (probably under "more info" "detailed record" or something similar). You should be able to click on the subject headings to bring up more books on that subject!

Jennifer said...

and my favorite cat books...(other than There are Cats in This Book) Kittens are like that by Jan Pfloog (a favorite when I was little). Widget by Lyn McFarland. Henry series by Mary Calhoun, and What will fat cat sit on by Jan Thomas (really, anything by Jan Thomas is amazing)

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Oh, yes, I have a pet peeve with non-words too, but both of those books sound lovely! I never knew that tip about the library searches either... I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks!!

Britt said...

Hmmm... could be because we still have There are Cats in this Book! I'm renewing it until they won't let me renew it anymore!

(Hey, it's your fault for introducing me to it.)

:D

rachel said...

Kitten's First Full Moon was on my son's original pre-birth wishlist. We never did end up getting/receiving it, and I regret that now (although it's not too late)! At 15 months, he loves cats in books. He points at the kittens in Goodnight, Moon like crazy, and he loves the SkippyJon Jones board books. I could swear he even meowed twice last night!

Susana said...

I just found your blog and I love it! So many great resources. Thank you for taking the time to post in so much detail and share so much!

Infant Bibliophile said...

Britt -- your comment made me laugh out loud! Serves me right! Last week we tried to renew Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks book and couldn't. We panicked and ordered it from amazon. I told my husband about your comment, and he said, "maybe she has the Scarry book!" Too funny. :)

Christy -- hope you like the other one. I had never heard of Kitten's First Full Moon, but it seems that a lot of people have based on the comments.

Susana -- thank you for the kind words. I'm so glad you find the blog useful!

Rachel -- my son loves to say "meow meow" for a cat too. We moved to a new house recently, and there seem to be about 10 cats on our street. Whenever we want to lure him into the stroller, we say "let's go look for cats!"

Jennifer -- thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll check those out.

Valerie --I hope the keyword search thing works for you too. Loved the recent photo on your blog of you and your daughter hopping on the bed.

jumbleberryjam said...

What a fun blog theme! Love it!! Thanks for your thoughts on my blog...we're vegan, so I totally get food issues ;-). Have tried sunbutter on my guy - without success so far. Will keep trying. Best of luck to you when your preschool days roll around. In the meantime, looking forward to more book reviews!

Britt said...

LOL. Nope, no Scarry books out at the moment. (My kids love them, but I have a hard time reading them aloud! I apparently have a shorter attention span than they do!)

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

The last thing that my guys want to do at the downtown library is actually look at the books. You're lucky. The only thing they want to do is play.