Monday, September 21, 2009

Back to the Books (and Their Reviews)

Now that Book Blogger Appreciation Week is over, and we visited the library today, I'm ready to jump back into reviews this week. I'll start out with the Infant Bibliophile's favorite of the bunch we picked up today:

Do Lions Live on Lily Pads? (Hardcover), by Melanie Walsh. Our little guy has decided quite determinatively that he will be a "yaya meow meow" (translation: yellow cat) for Halloween, and that Mama will be a black cat, and Dada a "roooooooar" (translation: lion). So when I spotted this playful book on the library shelves, I had to take it home with us. Very bright, simple illustrations of animals (in the wrong locations befitting their kind) pair with questions about their habitats. The book follows a pattern - see excerpt - until the last page. A fun, short book.

Excerpt:

"Is this the nest of a goat? / No, it belongs to a bird. / Do crocodiles live in shells? / No, but snails do."

Bookworm's interest at 22 months: I lost count, but I believe we read it approximately 19 times in the first go. All while sitting next to a pile of 7 other new library books. He likes to say "nooooo" as we turn each page to answer the question. I'll be hunting down the other books by this author soon. They include "Do Pigs Have Stripes?," "Do Donkeys Dance?," and "Do Monkeys Tweet?" among others.

Parent's Peeve: I don't like that the lion on the cover isn't actually included in the text of the book. The title page has a picture of a frog, which obviously answers the questions on the front page, but there isn't any text saying that. Still, he didn't seem to mind one bit. He still refers to it as the "roooooar" book when he wants us to read it.




If you enjoy this book, you also should check out our review of Lemons Are Not Red, a longstanding favorite in our house which follows the same sort of quizzing pattern, with the addition of a clever cutout feature.

This one wasn't such a hit, but maybe some of you will love it:

Chicky Chicky Chook Chook (Hardcover), by Cathy MacLennan. I spotted this book on the shelf, and thought the title just screamed "fun read-aloud!" It stars an unlikely trio of animals - chicks, bees, and cats - as they have their peaceful slumber interrupted by a rain storm. The text is all very sing-songy and silly ("Sticky, icky, chicky. Soggy, groggy moggy. Wet. Wet. Wet. / Crazy . . . dizzy . . . buzzer! How will we get DRY?"). If the excerpts appeal to you, you'll probably enjoy the book. The illustrations are fun - quite clear, colorful, and visually appealing as a whole. I wasn't as delighted with reading it aloud as I had hoped.

Excerpt:

"Sunny, sunny, hot shine. Snuggle, snuggle, sleepy shine. Lazy . . . dozy. Snoozy . . . woooooozy."

Bookworm's interest at 22 months: He loves cats and bees, which both feature prominently in this book, but he didn't show much interest in it. I'll try a few more times, but I don't think it will become a favorite without some extra effort (for instance, maybe if I try singing the words as lyrics).




What are you reading this week?

6 comments:

Raising a Happy Child said...

The first one looks very intriguing, I'll look for it tomorrow. We read tons of books at the moment, but I think Anna is ready for some new reading. I'd recommend "The Family Book" by Todd Parr - the illustrations are bright, and the text is short. Anna really liked it.

Christy said...

I haven't seen the first book yet but we love Lemons Are Not Red and my children definitely enjoyed Chicky Chicky Chook Chook.

Britt said...

The lion one looks really cute, but I'm with you. Drives me nuts when the cover/title bit isn't in the text!

Ah, Halloween. Luckily my younger one has no opinion on the subject, because my older one decided what he was going to be months ago. They have to coordinate, you know.

Today she started in on what Mommy and Daddy should be... Can't I just go as Mommy?

Infant Bibliophile said...

Grr, I just wrote a long reply to all of you, and blogger ate it. So, here is a condensed one...
Raising a Happy Child: we've tried Todd Parr without much success, but we'll keep trying. Love the general message of his books.
Christy: glad your kids liked it!
Britt: I shouldn't have asked him, if I didn't want him to pick. Not I'm stuck with his answer. I like dressing up for Halloween, but it's kind of funny on public transportation.

mamajade said...

That lion book looks fun! (Although my wee man is pretty much interested in books he can scratch and chew at this point, not much patience for actual reading, but we try.)

I am so glad I checked out your blog... I love it! I love the idea of it, the way you have it set up, the title, everything. An instant favorite! (Of course, I'm a book addict, so it goes well with my personality.)

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I've written a response to what you said there, but I wanted to also stop by and check yours out. :)

maryanne said...

We LOVE Lemons Are Not Red!

I think we'll check if our library has both of these books...