Monday, September 14, 2009

Book Blogger Appreciation Week: Kick-Off Post

Book Blogger Appreciation Week kicks off today, and there will be daily blogging themes.  Today's is:  "The first day of BBAW, Monday September 14th, we encourage you to write a post thanking and spotlighting your favorite blogs that didn’t make the shortlists."

I am sharing some of my favorite bookish blogs, most of which review children's books.  I nominated some of these for BBAW categories, but honestly, I can't remember which ones.  Here is the rigid criteria I used to pick my 10: when one of their posts pops up in my Google Reader, it makes me happy.  It turns out that most of my favorite blogs aren't the most popular books blogs, so I have many I could list.  Here are ten:

Book Scoops: Written by two sisters, this blog features reviews of children's and adolescent literature.  Along with the reviews, I love reading the reminiscences from their childhood, which are often very funny.  (See, for example, this one, although the lawyer in me is struggling to come up with a suitable disclaimer for any ensuing injuries from replications of the Pillowcase Game). 

Books, Lists, Life: This is one of the few books blogs (the only one, actually) that I'm listing that doesn't focus on children's books.  There always seems to be something in the posts here that interests me (partly because its author, Lisa, sews too).  I like the "Random Friday" posts on the site.  They seem so much like the way my brain operates.  I also love the idea of the linked list in her sidebar of books she'd like to read one day (along with where she read a review about them).  Be sure to also check out Lisa's Etsy shop.  

HipWriterMama:  Musings about life, writing, and children's books.  Hip Writer Mama is just what her name suggests; her posts include advice and inspiration for the would-be author, like "write-a-scene writing prompts."  Vivian is also a mother of three kids, and has dealt with eczema and food allergy issues with them, so I feel like she's kin. If you visit her site, spend some time on her sidebars, which are chock-full of useful links.  Oh, and she's great about replying to comments within the comments thread, so you never feel ignored.  Even if, like me, you're just stalking her blog pretending to be a writer.  Have I blogged here yet about how I am considering participating in National Novel Writing Month ("NanoWriMo") this year? 

Well Read Child: Written by a mom, instructional designer, and freelance writer and editor, the Well Read Child is full of "book recommendations, reading tips, and learning activities you can use to help instill the joy of reading in your child."  I just discovered this archive of the site's reviews, including children's fiction picture books, nonfiction picture books, and board books.  These are written by a team of 14 contributors.  There goes my night!  (If you're ever looking for a list of all of the reviews we've done at Chronicle of an Infant Bibliophile, you can access our complete list of read and reviewed books).

5 Great Books:  I followed an older blog by this author, and just realized this week that I hadn't subscribed when she changed sites (oops).  I like her book list recommendations.  See, for example, this list of books about school buses or this list of books about school (I bought How Do Dinosaurs Go To School for my nephew this year).  I just realized looking at her bio that she has authored 115 books!   Yowza.  

Bookie Woogie: "Three kids and their Dad talk about books."  Their Dad happens to be Aaron Zenz, an author and illustrator of children's books, including the recently re-released HICCUPotamus, which is currently in the middle of a blog tour.  I'm surprised not to see this listed in any shortlists, but it's probably so unique that it doesn't fit in any one category.  The book reviews are transcribed conversations between Dad and the kids, who are very funny and intelligent.  

Jean Little Library: Written by the youth services librarian in a small Wisconsin town, the Jean Little Library blog is one of the first I discovered, and started jotting down books from for our little guy to read.  It's one of, if not my favorite, of the many wonderful blogs maintained by librarians.  I'm pretty sure I nominated the blog for the Most Concise category for her frequent very short, useful "Read Snap" reviews.  I also love that she's not afraid to call a book a "flop."

For my last three, I'd like to also mention a few people that may not consider themselves "book bloggers," but that feature book reviews from time to time that always lead us to pick up new titles, often ones we end up loving.  If you have young kids, go check out these wonderful blogs and skim them for book recommendations.  You won't be sorry:

No Time for Flashcards: A resource of activities for young children that promote play, discovery, and learning.  Allie is a kids craft extraordinaire, but she also picks great children's books.  This is where I head before we go to the library.  In addition to pairing book reviews with associated activities, she also has book reviews linked in one handy place by author and theme.
    
Thrifty Craft Mama: A blog dedicated to simple and thrifty crafts for young children.   Mary Ann just welcomed a beautiful new addition to her family, and still finds time to post often, including this recent one about favorite books featuring animals.  

Superheroes and Princesses: Focusing on the learning adventures of her 5 year old superhero and 3 year old princess, this blog is full of crafty and educational inspiration.  Christy also features many wonderful book projects, which I admire.  Although we read very often, and do crafts somewhat often, I haven't been very good about combining the two into cohesive lessons.  I'm grateful to have her blog as a resource.  Not only does Christy post often with activities featuring her darling kids, but she is the world's most prolific commenter.  She always has something kind and helpful to add.

Did I introduce you to any new blogs through this post?  Are there others that you love?  (I know I'm only scratching the surface here).  Please leave a comment and share some other suggestions.  And if you are stopping by from BBAW, be sure to say hello!


13 comments:

Bluestocking said...

Wow, I've never heard of these. So many great blogs. Here is mine

Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) said...

I'm also a reader of HipWriterMama and Well-Read Child ... and your blog, too (which is mentioned in my post today :) And, like you, am seriously thinking about NaNoWriMo this year.

Happy BBAW!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Oh, how could I have forgotten Jean Little Library? Yes, I fully agree with all of your picks!

Infant Bibliophile said...

Thanks -- Brimful Curiosities was one I couldn't fit but love also!

Jennifer said...

Oooh, thanks for mentioning me! I love being called "concise" and not just "lazy". Heh heh heh. I'll have to check out your other picks - some of them are new to me!

MaryAnne said...

Thank you, I'm so honored to be included in this list! I haven't heard of some of the truly book-centric blogs you highlighted, I'll have to check them out.

Belle said...

What a great list! I'm adding all the ones I haven't been reading to my Google Reader (can you hear the dear thing burping in the background?). I'm always on the lookout for things to do with my little guy, so I'm really loving your non-book blog but occasional review recommendations, too!

Christy said...

I'm blushing! Thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate everything you wrote. Also, thank you for introducing me to some new book blogs. I am going to visit all of them after the kids are in bed tonight. I can't wait!

sanctimommy said...

Great list. Thanks for putting it together! Definitely some new finds for me on it.

Vivian said...

I am so honored to be included in your list. Thank you so much--it is so appreciated. Happy Writing! You can do it.

Dawn @Moms Inspire Learning said...

Thank you for pointing out these wonderful blogs. I'm so glad to have found them, in addition to yours!

Does anyone else have a REALLY hard time balancing working on your own blog with reading other blogs? There are so many fantastic book blogs, and I'm always happy to find new ones. But I have to say, it is a struggle finding time to read them all...

It is comforting to know that there are so many other people out there with a passion for reading!

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

I've just opened up tabs for the last five that you mentioned. They sound great. The others I already know and love.

Michelle said...

I'm waaaay behind on going through BBAW posts but am glad that I have the opportunity to subscribe to your blog as well as several you mention in this post.