Monday, September 28, 2009

"Put Something Silly in the World"




Today during a trip to the library I decided to pick up Shel Silverstein's A Light in the Attic, Where the Sidewalk Ends, and Falling Up. The first two, at least, are on lists of "banned books" that I've seen in connection with Banned Books Week. My son is still too young to enjoy them (not quite age two yet), but I loved these books when younger and have been looking forward to rereading them with him someday. So instead of any full reviews tonight, I'm just offering up a poem from A Light in the Attic:

PUT SOMETHING IN

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Sing a mumble-gumble song,
Whistle through your comb.
Do a loony-goony dance
'Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain't been there before.

-Shel Silverstein

5 comments:

Christy said...

I love Shel Silverstein. My children are just starting to enjoy his work now.

Britt said...

I thought for sure I owned at least one of these.... but apparently not. Which I'm really bummed about. I was going to read it to my kids today.

I've never understood why this would be banned. I love Shel Silverstein.

Infant Bibliophile said...

There's at least one pants-less man in a Light in the Attic (with his coat over the key parts), plus another naked bum or two. But, they are pen and ink drawings. Not very scandalous. Not sure if that is the reason.

ArtSnark said...

wonderful books! I just dusted off my copy of Where the Sidewalk ends from many years ago & now my 5 yr old is reading it :D

The Giving Tree is a great intro to Shel Silverstein. Though the concept is a bit deep,even little kids get into the book

Infant Bibliophile said...

I've had a review of the Giving Tree in my head for months now! Sorry to say I don't like it all that much. Well, I have mixed feelings about it at least. Which is why I think I've been hesitant to review it.