Thursday, October 22, 2009

Autumn Outdoor Story Time (Guest Post from Frugal Family Fun)

I love reading other blogs.  My Google Reader is bursting at the seams.  But among the 160 blogs that I currently follow, a handful stand out to me, because they are authored by women that I like to think I'd be friends with if they lived in my neighborhood.  One of those stand-out bloggers, for me, is Valerie at Frugal Family Fun.  After all, who wouldn't want to be friends with someone who does this, and this, for their friends and neighbors?  (Not to mention this).  So, when Valerie contacted me about guest posting on our blog, I was elated.  You can visit Frugal Family Fun today to see our guest post on making the most out of library book sales.  But first, enjoy Valerie's wonderful guest post (and the interspersed photos of her beautiful kids) here:

Autumn Outdoor Story Time

Hello! My name is Valerie, and I blog daily over at Frugal Family Fun Blog. I am so happy to be here guest posting on Chronicle of an Infant Bibliophile today! I have two daughters -- Emily (5 yrs.) and Clara (1 yr.), and I frequently write about inexpensive craft and activity ideas. Lately, we have been inspired by nature's Autumn beauty. I thought I would share one of our most recent outdoor story times with you.

First, I want to point out that books do not need to be read indoors!  If the weather is nice, grab your book tote and head outside. Find a cozy spot under a tree, and crack open that book.

Some of our Autumn favorites include:

Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt -- What a fun read this turned out to be, and we will surely be exploring more from the Scaredy Squirrel series. Emily appreciated the humor in this book, and so did I.  Scaredy Squirrel never leaves his tree, until one day when the unexpected occurs. This has been a frequently requested book in our household.

Why Do Leaves Change Color? (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)? by Betsy Maestro and Loretta Krupinski -- If your child is always asking questions, you may want to check out this book. The science behind why leaves change color is explored in accurate detail, but in terms children can understand. If you are outside while reading this, be sure to allow enough time for some Autumn leaf collecting.

Squirrels (Nature's Children) -- During Autumn squirrels can be seen while they busily prepare for the Winter months ahead. This book explores where squirrels go during Winter, where baby squirrels are born, and introduces kids to several different varieties of squirrels. We have found the Nature's Children series to be thorough, and both Emily and I have learned a thing or two about various species by picking up one of these books.

Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert -- This is an Autumn classic. We love the vivid colors and interesting illustrations. The life cycle of a Sugar Maple tree is explored, and Emily also enjoyed the Appendix in the back which explains the parts of the tree and their various functions. Afterwards, she was inspired to draw her own version of a Sugar Maple tree during various seasons.

After all that reading, you simply must rake up a large pile of leaves and jump in!

Have fun!

Purchasing products by clicking through the links in this post to Amazon.com will provide us a modest commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.  

7 comments:

Mark said...

Dear Lynn,

Your kids look a lot like my kids.

HEY!

Mark

maryanne said...

Oh fun! I read both of these blogs every day, so it was fun to see you swap addresses for a day =)

Erin said...

Lynn
Thrilled to find your site, as a fellow bibliophile I always love to read about books (why else would I have a website just so I can talk about books? {Aussie Book threads}) look forward to reading more.

Infant Bibliophile said...

Hi Erin -- I was just looking at your site! My husband is from New Zealand and we have relatives in Australia too. I'll be happy to read all of your book posts (and the rest -- I'm amazed by moms of big families. Need to learn all of your tricks). Thanks so much for stopping by.

Kim Baise said...

Such a wonderful post with sweet photos! Love your blog too which I will now be reading all the time....like this one!

Christy said...

Great post. I love both of your blogs so this is a real treat for me! I also love that Mark commented here! Lynn, I totally want to be neighbors with you and Valerie. That would be so much fun! Great photos! Great book suggestions! LOVED reading this post! Thanks!

Infant Bibliophile said...

@kim I'm glad you enjoyed it. I loved Valerie's post too!

@Christy Yes, let's do it -- and can we invite Maryanne to join us too in our fictional blogging neighborhood?!