Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Library Book Sale - Part 2

A couple of weeks ago, I posted Part 1 of our library book sale finds.  I was kindly reminded by someone tonight that I have yet to post Part 2.  I know you have all been on the edge of your seats.  Here are the other four books we picked up that day.

Tall (Hardcover), by Jez Alborough. This wonderfully charming tale is told with very, very few words (as in, three words other than "tall" and "small"). In this way, it reminded me of Goodnight Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann. The illustrations are playful; you just want to smile along with the animals. Bobo the monkey feels "small." He finds a rock and stands upon it. Then he feels "tall," until a bigger animal comes along. He gets on the animal's shoulders, and then feels "tall" again, until another, and another, and another taller animal appear in turn. At the end, Bobo falls from his highest seat, into his mother's arms, and appears perfectly content being carried in her arms and feeling "small" once again.

Bookworm's interest at 23 months: I thought it was adorable that he ran to an ottoman and climbed up on it when we first read the page with the monkey climbing on the rock. Since then, Daddy and I have read the whole book to him quite a few times, and he loves showing off that he can "read" the words "tall," "bobo," and "mommy."

Parent's Peeve: None; I love this one!



I Love You So Much (Hardcover), by Carl Norac. Lola wakes up eager to share "special words" - so eager that the words are puffing out her hamster cheeks. Unfortunately, those she'd like to share the words with all seem too busy. Eventually, after some cute hamster pouting, she gets to share her special message with her parents, and she goes to bed happy. "Tomorrow's special words were already on the tip of her tongue."

Excerpt:

"'Mommy, I want to tell you . . . ," Lola whispered. 'Can it wait, angel?' said Mommy. 'You'll be late for school.' / On the school bus, it was much too noisy for Lola to say her special words."

Bookworm's interest at 23 months: He picked this one off the shelf himself at the book sale and insisted we buy it, every time I asked him if he was sure. Once we got home, he didn't make it all the way through. I'm not sure he really got what it was about. We'll keep trying.

Parent's Peeve: I like the idea of the story, and the parents being busy, etc. But trying to share the special words with various people throughout the day at school (like chasing after "Frankie, the Skateboard King" to try to "say her special words to him") didn't appeal to me as much. It is still a cute story, though, and I don't regret buying it.



Motherlove (Hardcover), by Virginia L. Kroll. My first impression when I opened this book was that it was beautiful. The illustrations of mother-child animals are lovely. The text is like two books in one. Poetry in large, bold text describes the various things that mothers do for their young. Then, smaller text on the page adds additional information for older readers. I love when books can grow with a reader in this way.

Excerpt:

"Some mothers are purry; all mothers are wonderfully warm. / They cradle and cuddle and coddle and huddle and spread out their wings in a storm. " "Like many birds, these mute swans sit carefully atop their babies. When the nestlings are older, parent birds shield them with their wings from wet or chilly weather."

Bookworm's interest at 23 months: He enjoys sitting as we read this together. I think he just likes listening to the rhythmic text (me too!), and he always says, "Mama!" when we get to the orangutan page, because I love seeing orangutans at the zoo.

Parent's Peeve: I agree with the amazon customer review that some of the text - like this "They're good at respecting, directing, protecting and teaching their offspring to fly. They separate hagglers and bring in the stragglers and know when (or not) to ask why" - is a little over the head of young readers. But I really enjoy reading it aloud, so I don't mind very much. While I like my son to understand what we read, I think books like this can also give him an appreciation for the rhythm of poetry and language generally, and that's equally important to me.



I've posted about a book called Peekaboo Morning before (link goes to our review).  We took the board book version out of the library often.  I was delighted to see the full-sized version at the sale.  The text appears to be identical to the board book version - short and simplest enough for the very earliest readers.  

And that rounds out the eight books we picked up at the sale.  Now I'm starting to think about birthday and Christmas purchases.  As of now, my birthday/Christmas buying plans include There Are Cats in This Book, My Truck is Stuck, and Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever.  They're all books we've read at the library and loved.  And I am thinking about stuffing homemade goodie bags at the Infant Bibliophile's birthday party next month with copies of Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks from A to Z (all links go to our reviews). 

Question: Have you started thinking about holiday shopping yet?  Have any other book purchases in mind?  Any children's books you're currently coveting?  Please share with us.

Purchasing products by clicking through the links in this post to Amazon.com will provide us a modest commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.  

5 comments:

Britt said...

Cute!

Weirdly, I'm pretty much done with Christmas... for the kids if no one else.

They're getting LOTS of books.... like mostly books... Like I need to stay away from Amazon....

:D

Raising a Happy Child said...

Good book sale haul - the first book sounds most interesting. We usually buy books "just because", not as a special present, and I am sure that we will add to our book collection before and after Christmas. I do have a sizeable wish list of other things - toys, crafts and magazines :)

So Smrt said...

Hi, Bibliophile's mama. I love our library book sales...on the second day you can buy a paper bag full for $3!

I wanted to reply as well to your comment on Unplugged Mama's site...I am not unplugged, and I did show the Baby Einstein videos to my kids. But I think we are of the same mindset on one thing...I never presumed that any TV show would make my child smarter! I think it's ridiculous that they're giving refunds, because it implies that somehow they COULD be educational...

Playing by the book said...

Great to find you after you found me!
We love Jez Alborough - our favourite Bobo book by him is called "Hug" - I'd definitely recommend you look for it at the library.
Looking forward to reading more posts from you,
Zoe

MoziEsmé said...

Some fun finds! I love how you include Infant Bibliophile's opinion of them all. We haven't made it to any library sales, but I've been hitting a lot of 2nd hand stores looking for books... My problem right now is where to keep them all!

Christmas list right now includes all the books on the Itty Bitty Bookworm curriculum that we're going to start January 1st - it's a literary approach with a different book theme each week. But my wish list is about 2 miles long.

I'm trying to figure out a way to put all the wish list books in an iPhone, scan the books I find while bargain shopping to see if they're on the list, and then move the books to our virtual library and off the wish list after we buy them...