Monday, October 5, 2009

Review: Toddler Two / Dos anos

Toddler Two/Dos anos (Board book), by Anastasia Suen. Terry Doherty of the Reading Tub recommended this book to us in a comment on an earlier post in which we reviewed three books by Author Anastasia Suen. It was a great suggestion. I really like bilingual books, and the Infant Bibliophile warmed to this one right away. The text is short and sweet, with an English and Spanish version on each page. Each two-page spread focuses on a different body part, and the text follows the pattern of the excerpt below. The illustrations by Winnie Cheon appear to be made out of bright pieces of appliqued felt. The resulting images are cheerful and fun.

Excerpt:

"Two hands, one, two. Dos manos, una, dos."

Bookworm's interest at 22 months: He points out each of his body parts as the book refers to them. He loves a good quiz. Are all toddlers like that?

Parent's Peeve: I assume I just got a wacky copy, because one set of pages (with the hands) repeats twice.



Click here to see other bilingual books we own. Do you have any other Spanish or bilingual books you enjoy? We haven't read many, and I'd love to broaden our list.



8 comments:

Christy said...

You probably know this already but the books that come free in Cheerios boxes are all bilingual (English/Spanish). I always stock up on Cheerios when they are giving away the books. I'm not sure if your son can eat Cheerios??? We also subscribe to Highlights High Five magazine and every issue has an English/Spanish story in it. I love that the magazine also has pronunciation help - I have never taken Spanish and all that I know is from Dora and Diego (sad, I know).

Britt said...

We have some of the bilingual books from the Cheerios boxes, but I'm with Christy, just about the only Spanish I know comes from Dora and Diego. And a teeny bit I learned living in San Antonio.

My husband is fluent, so if Boo wants the Spanish I just make him read it!

Now if we had some bilingual German/English books, those I would read!

Infant Bibliophile said...

Didn't know that about Cheerios -- no, he can't eat them unfortunately.

He doesn't know who Diego is, since we don't have a TV, but I do have a huge Diego stickerbook that I plan to take on the plane with us on our next trip. Oh he also has a diego board game. Now that he's getting older, I should look into letting him watch the show.

We love the Highlights High Five magazine around here. Favorite parts are find the pictures and the little choreographed dances in the back.

Britt, I loved San Antonio the one time I visited.

Raising a Happy Child said...

We have some bilingual German/English books, but they all come from Germany. Anna is lukewarm about them, she prefers to keep her languages separate :)

Britt said...

Ah San Antonio... nice place to visit... assuming it's between October and April... Didn't really like living there.

Honestly, at this point my German skills are so bad I probably need the bilingual kids books for myself! Hard to find in the states.

ReadingTub said...

I'm so glad that the Infant Bibliophile enjoyed Dos Anos. Baby Einstein has a great board book that Catherine used to LOVE. It has the name of animals in 5 languages. So it's not really a story, just a book to explore. The bibliophile might like Polar Slumber, too.

bububooks said...

I know it's probably tacky for me to say this, but my bookstore sells nothing but bilingual children's books (we're new and so only offer Spanish/English and Chinese/English right now). Anyways, our bestsellers are Hello Ocean, Bugs for Lunch and We Are a Rainbow. However, for 20 months, I would suggest Global Babies. It's a board book with photos of babies from all over the world and with the countries' names in English and Spanish. Finally, my personal favorite is a book called My First Book of Proverbs, which shares idioms from both Spanish and English. The artwork is fabulous and there's not too many words on the pages. I'm not trying to do a shameless plug, just wanted to let you know about some of the bilingual books out there. Great blog and happy reading!!

Laura

Infant Bibliophile said...

Laura, I appreciate the suggestions! I don't even mind shameless plugs (you should have left a link to your bookstore), as long as they're on topic. Thanks for stopping by.