Monday, November 2, 2009

Our turn

It seems that my Google Reader is infested lately with stories of illness and hospital visits. We had our turn at the Emergency Room last night from about 10:30 p.m.-3:30 a.m., as the Infant Bibliophile was treated for asthma-related complications from the flu (or a common cold). He's flirted with asthma before, and is high risk because of his multiple food allergies and severe infant eczema, but I have held onto the hope that he might escape it. It seems to be somewhat under control now (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc.), and we're hoping we don't need to make any more midnight runs to the ER.

It will take us awhile to get caught up on sleep (and book reviews!). In the meantime, here are a few cute things our little charmer, as we affectionately refer to him around here, has been saying lately. I don't know about the "terrible twos," but I'm finding 23 months to be an adorable age.

Last week, my husband took the little guy for a short walk, and he saw two construction vehicles. Dad said, "look, two diggers!" But he was corrected: "one backhoe, one digger!" All of those truck books are teaching him a thing or two apparently.

Dad was also told off for crossing the street before the flashing light had turned to a walk signal. "Red hand!!!" he heard from the stroller.

He has recently learned the meaning of "tomorrow." In case you don't know what this word means, it is a synonym of "never." As in, "we have to go to the doctor's today..." "No, tomorrow!!!"

On our flight last month, I was struggling to keep him entertained while the plane landed, as we were looking out the window at night and not much was visible. We began this little game, which he started spontaneously playing on the ride home from the ER last night (at 3:30am, and full of meds!). He'd point excitedly at the lights of the city.
I'd say, "you see lights?"
"Yeah, digger!" (comes out sort of like "duhduh!").
"Oh, you see a digger?"
"Yaya!"
"A yellow digger?"
"Pooooo!"
"It's building a pool?"
"Yeah. (pause) Pretending!"
Perhaps you have to hear the slow, methodical way he annunciates "pretending," but trust me, it is CUTE.

He greets Daddy lately with, "hi! *kiss* Dinna yeddy!"

OK, I guess that's all I've got. What time is it? What day is it? Is cold/flu season over yet? I hope you and your families are staying well. If you face a hospital stay, you might like this wonderful list of children's books about hospital visits that Natasha at Mawbooks posted awhile back.

How have your families been faring the flu storm so far?

And since this post needs a photo, wouldn't it be nice to be in Tahiti right now? (If you click on the image, you may see that there is a Maori proverb at the top of the photo, from when I was playing around with designing some notecards:
"Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you."

10 comments:

Britt said...

Oh no, not you too! Sad. :(

Those sayings are adorable, though. Mister's speech is getting more and more understandable and it's fun.

We've avoided anything too serious so far... just colds. And allergies... blasted sagebrush. And then more colds. ;)

Pam said...

oh man, we had our VERY first cold/virus the other day (my guy is 20 months old) and it's rough. I hate sick kids...it just seems so much harder on their bodies. :O/ Hoping for a healthy winter season!

Ivy said...

Sorry to hear your little guy is sick and that you all had a very long trip to the ER. My 6 year old has cold induced asthma (meaning he only gets asthma symptoms when he has a bad chest cold). We have a nebulizer that we use when that happens. It's really very manageable. And I'll hope that your little guy has that kind or even better outgrows it all together.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Awww... poor little guy! And that must have been so scary for you! His quotes are adorable! I love how he yelled at his dad for crossing the street when the red hand was lit. So cute!!!

Christy said...

I LOVE his quotes! So cute. I love that he tells you he is pretending. Illness stinks. I'm coming to Tahiti with you. My boys have h1n1. So far the rest of us have avoided it.

maryanne said...

Poor little infant bibliophile! I hope he feels better soon, and with no more ER visits!

I loved all the little quotes you included - so cute, and it sounds like he's talking a lot!

Belle said...

Infant bibliophile is so adorable! I love all the quotes, just so sweet.

My daughter had her first asthma attack at 23 months, too - we did the whole emergency room routine, and I remember she was thrilled because she got a visit with Santa Claus (it was in December). Fortunately, her asthma only lasted two years and a bit - she had her last attack before she turned five (she's almost 16 now).

caribookscoops said...

So glad to hear he is home. ER visits are not fun. I hope he stays healthy for the rest of the flu season and beyond.

Loved all the stories about him talking about trucks. I think it is always nice to know when reading has been paying off.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I am sorry your had an ER scare, and I hope that IB feels better already. His quotes crack me up - I remember that "tomorrow" quote all too well :)

Joyful Learner said...

I know how scary it can be when you have to take your child to the ER because we've been there. You have inspired me to start another blog called Living with Allergies hoping to connect with others with similar experiences. For the past two years, I've been avoiding the topic all together (call it denial) but I see how important it is to share. Glad your little one is okay. Hugs.