Friday, December 11, 2009

No-Mess Painting Project (and Children's Books about Colors)

Today we did a fun (mess-free!) painting activity.  We also did this when he was a bit younger (somewhere between 12 and 18 months), and he enjoyed it, but was more tentative then.  I think I might have first read about this idea on Just for Fun last year.

Materials: 
Freezer paper.
Construction paper.

Lay a piece of freezer paper on a flat surface.  Place a piece of construction paper on top of it.  Squirt a few different colors of paint on the construction paper.  Layer another piece of freezer paper on top.  Make sure the freezer paper is larger than the construction paper by quite a bit on all sides.  Encourage your little artist(s) to "paint" with their finger, swirling the paint around through the freezer paper.  My guy's favorite thing was to order more paint to be added, so I had to encourage him to do the painting. 
 The best part is the clean-up.  Open up the freezer paper, hang your artwork to dry, and throw away the freezer paper.  Done!   

If you're looking for another quick color-related activity for very young children, try our simple color scavenger hunt game.

Companion Reads: Children's Books about Colors (all links go to our reviews):

Question
What are your favorite no-mess projects?  Favorite books about colors?  Does anyone else's blogger refuse to post rotated versions of photos occasionally?


9 comments:

Britt said...

That is a fabulous idea!

We tried the Color Wonder fingerpaints, but it's hard to explain to little kids that you don't need much. Boo would gouge out a bunch of it and it would get smeared all over and soak through multiple pages....

I honestly think normal fingerpaints may have been less messy!

Lisa said...

I love all these activities that you've been posting, thanks.

Katherine said...

Rebecca liked paint-in-a-plastic-bag (put a little paint in a ziplock baggie, smooth flat, then draw with your finger squishing the paint out of the way, re-smooth) so I bet she would like this too.

Christy said...

I'll have to try this soon! I love it.

Stephanie said...

What a great idea! But what is freezer paper? Is it the same as waxed paper?

I also want to try the idea in Katherine's comment above- my little one is always asking to paint, but I'm not always up for the mess!

Infant Bibliophile said...

Katherine -- that sounds fun too!

Stephanie -- I always get waxed paper and freezer paper confused, but I think they are the same thing (my husband calls it grease-proof paper, but he's from new zealand). Anything see through will work.

Raising a Happy Child said...

Great project. One book that I think you reviewed earlier on your blog and we really enjoyed was Lemons Are Not Red. As for blogger difficulties, I create my posts using LiveWriter from Microsoft. It's awesome to use, and I never even go to Blogger any longer except when I have to add a couple words to my posts.

Infant Bibliophile said...

@raising We do love Lemons Are Not Red! That's interesting about LiveWriter. Maybe I'll look into it (although I am a devoted Mac user).

sunnymama said...

Lovely activity and a great list of colour books! :)