Saturday, January 30, 2010

Feed Me Books Friday (Favorite Children's Books)

Feed Me Books Friday is a new weekly link-up over at The Adventure of Motherhood.

Feed Me Books Friday

Each week, participants will blog about three children's books, often fitting a particular theme.  To get the project started, this week's theme is just "favorite children's books."  I am obviously a day late, but I wanted to get a post up so that I can get the word out about this fun idea.

I find it very difficult to pick favorites.  The three below are the three books that really stand out in my mind from my own childhood; they are not the Infant Bibliophile's favorites by any means.  He is only two years old, and since I remember these books so well, I probably liked them when I was a bit older than that.  Oh shoot, just as I was typing this, a fourth popped into my head (we are asked to list only three).  I am no good at playing favorites.

Harold and the Purple Crayon 50th Anniversary Edition (Purple Crayon Books)Harold and the Purple Crayon.  I remember loving the idea that I could create something with my imagination.  The older I got, the more I liked it.  My son hasn't warmed to it yet.








The Monster at the End of this Book (Big Little Golden Book)The Monster at the End of This Book.  I'm not sure which I thought was more clever -- the book or me for understanding it.  I still love this book, and all of Jon Stone's others in this series.  My son likes it, but it isn't a favorite (yet).








Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (Bright & Early Books) "Dum Ditty Dum Ditty Dum Dum Dum."  Monkeys with sideburns... love this book!  I bought a copy for myself my son last year, and I think I might have cried if he didn't like it.  He loved it too.







If you'd like to read about other favorite children's books, you can browse them at this week's link-up post here.  I'm a stickler for rules, so I wouldn't dream of violating the "list no more than three books" rule.  I'll just say that the fourth favorite book from my childhood that came to mind rhymes with Fanny and the Finosaur.  Oh, and Furious Feorge.  I better stop now.

Question:
How about you?  What are your favorite children's books?  Or do you find it as difficult to answer as I do?

Note: If you purchase anything after clicking through the links in this post, we may earn a small commission based on our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

7 comments:

Adventure Mom Janna said...

I love your enthusiasm and passion for books! I know 3 seems small to a true book lover but I didn't want readers or writers to get overwhelmed. I was laughing at your "stress" at being limited:)

I just read Grover this weekend! There is just something so hilarious about breaking the rules every time you turn the page!

As for the other 2 (gasp) I have never heard of them. Which is awesome b/c now I can look forward to checking them out!

I'm glad you linked up even if you were late. I seem to have a prob. with my button so I'll have to work on fixing it. If only techie stuff was as fun as books:)

Christy said...

Great books!

Britt said...

Oh I have a terrible time choosing things like that.

I've always LOVED the Monster at the End of this Book!!

Raising a Happy Child said...

This is an interesting linky, and I might participate in it too at some point. We also really liked the third one on your list here. I can't claim that we have one favorite, they really change over years, but one book that Anna keeps pulling off the shelf almost every day is Whose Mouse Are You? by Kreuss.

Tracey said...

Your second and third books were ones that we enjoyed as well! I don't think we ever read about Harold, so I'll have to check that one out.

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

We just love Harold and the purple crayon! And I'm going to look for the sideburn monkeys asap! I agree it's very hard to pick just a few favorite children's books, there are so many great ones.

Jessica Monte said...

For me, it is totally age dependent. As my daughter gets older, I find myself rediscovering old favorites, like Curious George and Clifford. And then now as we reread some of A's old favorites from her first 3 years, like "Goodnight Moon," and simple peek-a-boo books, I feel this happiness inside because reading these books to Levi reawakens memories from just 2 years ago. Anyhoo . . . I love most children books . . . though I admit that I will often steer clear of B&N's clearance rack.