Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Review: Mo Willems "Cat the Cat" Series

At the suggestion of many (thanks, Britt!), we tracked down the rest of the books in Mo Willems "Cat the Cat" series.  Love them!  Here are quick reviews of all four.  I'm not sure whether to reveal the endings; they are only short children's books, afterall, but the endings are so cute and clever.  They really do make the books.  So, I'll just say - go get them.  You'll like them. 


Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly! (Cat the Cat)
Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!  -- Possibly our favorite of all four, in terms of both parent and child entertainment.  The story takes place on a playground, with various flying animals demonstrating their ability.  I think the Bibliophile understood the humor in the ending right away, and it was still amusing enough for me to enjoy it also.  The illustrations in all four books are simple, colorful, and eye-catching.  Perfect for the intended audience -- as is the text, which is brief (but as charming as you'd expect from Mr. Willems).


What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound? (Cat the Cat)

What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound? -- This one involves animal sounds.  It makes it fun to read, because your child can pipe in and (loudly) do the animal part.  I wasn't as crazy about the ending.  I had to explain it to the Bibliophile.  He does laugh and explain it to me now each time we read it.  Still a wonderful little book, but I like the other three in the series more.  But, it doesn't matter, because you should read all four anyway!



Time to Sleep, Sheep the Sheep! (Cat the Cat)

Time to Sleep, Sheep the Sheep! -- This ending got the highest points in terms of parental amusement.  It actually made me giggle aloud.  And I made Daddy read it before I even read it to the Bibliophile.  I wish I could say that the Bibliophile understood the ending right away.  He didn't, but I did explain it.  And I think I explained it TOO well, because then he lay awake at night yelling, "Trivial Pursuit, anyone?!" and laughing. 



Cat the Cat, Who Is That?

You can read our review of Cat the Cat Who Is That? here.  Mama and Bibliophile both really like this one.








Question: Are these book covers showing up for you OK?  I know at least one reader had issues, but since they are showing up fine for me, I can't tell if it has been resolved.  What else are you reading this week?  How can I resist buying copies of these?  We don't need more books, right?  Right?!  Very tempted...


Disclosure:  If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.



9 comments:

Christy said...

I can see the book covers. We haven't read any of those books. I'll be looking for them today because we love Mo Willems.

Sam and Boo said...

I haven't seen these before. I'll have to try them out and see if Boo likes them as much as the Bibliophile does.

Thanks!

Sam and Boo said...

P.S. I, too, can see the book covers. :)

Infant Bibliophile said...

@Sam I make no promises about your son getting the humor yet (if I'm remembering right and he's a little younger than mine?), but I think YOU will like them, if nothing else. Mo Willems is always as much entertainment for the parents as the kids. :)

@Christy I'm curious to see if your kids like them (my guess is they will), because yours are a bit older. I think they'd get the humor much more but the words are simple.

MaryAnne said...

I can see the covers. I'll have to see if our library has these...

Raising a Happy Child said...

When we first saw those books, I thought that Anna outgrew them, but she really enjoys them. She generally likes Mo Willems books - all except Knuffle Bunny series. I don't think she is getting the humor there - it's too close to home for her. The rest she finds very entertaining, but her favorites are still Piggie and Elephant series.

Infant Bibliophile said...

@Raising That is a bit of a challenge with having an early reader, I think... he can technically read a lot of things that he really doesn't understand. Piggie and Elephant are great! But I definitely understand the humor more than he does.

Infant Bibliophile said...

hope the rest of you like them!

MaryAnne said...

Thanks for the reminder! I could see Emma liking these - now to request them before I forget about them again!