Saturday, August 28, 2010

What My Child is Reading - The Letters Are Lost

It has been way too long since we've linked up to What My Child Is Reading.


I thought I'd highlight two books that we have been using for fun games this week.  



In this book, a nice neat set of children's blocks gets slowly scattered about and gradually disappear one by one (sound familiar?).  We learn what really happens to those missing blocks, as the author fills us in on all of their (letter-appropriate) adventures.  A is in an airplane, B is in the bath, etc.  We read the book a few times, and the Bibliophile liked it well enough, but he really started to enjoy it once he paid attention to the question posed on the last page.  It asks the reader: "Soon they will disappear again. Can you guess where they might go?"  Once he realized how to come up with scenarios, this became great fun.  We used it to entertain us at the doctor's office yesterday, and often when he just wakes from his nap.  I'm really impressed with the places he comes up -- those Geopuzzles are paying off!  M, for instance, is often in Mali.  And he likes to say that the letters will join families of animals -- L joined a family of lions, G joined a family of gorillas in Germany, etc.  I love when books (not even necessarily the best books) can become springboards for imaginative play like this.

My "C" Sound Box (New Sound Box Books)My "C" Sound Box  This one tells a story that revolves all around a little girl named C (I'm not sure if I have linked to the same story -- this one says "new sound box books," but I'm sure the idea is the same), who finds various C objects and adds them to her "C Sound Box".  I introduced the idea of writing a story that is limited/inspired by a certain letter.  For instance, the first story we wrote together starred a Gorilla named Gary who went to Germany and ate gorilla food.  We've done it twice now, and he enjoys it, but hasn't fully mastered the technique (it takes some mommy prompting and hinting).  I think it will be fun to revisit the idea again another time.  Seems like a great way to get those mental gears turning.


Question -- Can you think of any other books that have led to interactive play/mental games?  As I'm typing this, I can't think of other good examples, although I feel like we have always enjoyed using his books in this way.  I do remember playing I-spy with everything we read for awhile.    

Disclosure: If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.


6 comments:

MaryAnne said...

That first book sounds very cute!

Debbie said...

Both of these books sound cute. We have read so many books that have led to interactive creative play. The second you ask the question of course I go blank.

Thank you for following me, I am looking forward to following and reading all that you are doing in your preschool.

Ticia said...

Hmmm. What books. I've noticed tall tales tend toasted acting out

Gale said...

Not a book...but we once started a silly conversation that I'd like to turn into a book. It started with my son commenting that if he ate "glue pie" it would be sticky. Then we came up with all sorts of other pies (shoe pie would jump, rocket pie would be fast, etc).

Infant Bibliophile said...

@Gale I love that idea! You're right - it would make a great book. :)

Raising a Happy Child said...

Thank you for joining WMCIR and sharing your picks! We read Sound Box books too and enjoyed them a lot, but it didn't occur to me to turn them into a play activity. Lately Anna acts out a lot of scenes out of Little House in the Big Woods, especially bear hunting, and she is asking for a toy gun for her birthday :)