Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Free Book Review Printable for Children (and a Review of How Rocket Learned to Read)

When I first began reviewing books here, I tried to always make sure to include the Bibliophile's reaction to books, even before he could speak.  
Lately, I'm trying to involve him even more in expressing opinions about the books we read (rather than just cataloging what I think his reactions are).  This week, I thought it might be fun to print up a worksheet that we can go over together when we want to "review" a book.  I don't intend to do this whenever he reads a new book - just once in awhile as an exercise.

How Rocket Learned to ReadWe read and reviewed How Rocket Learned to Read this week.  It was so heartily recommended by Britt at Confessions of a Book Habitue (read her high praise here) that we had to pick up a copy.  Here is what the Bibliophile had to say about it:

The Name of This Book Is: How Rocket Learned to Read
The author of this book is: Tad Hills
Who is this book about?  A puppy.
What do they do in the book?  Sometimes they go to a class.
Did you like this book?  Yes.
What did you (or didn't you) like about it?  I liked that there was a doggie.  I liked THAT doggie [*points*].


We created a simple template (afterall, he's not quite three yet), but I will share it here in case it is useful to anyone else.  He only wrote his name at the top, and then I wrote the rest for him while he dictated.

Book Review Template                                                            

I am linking this post up with Read Aloud Thursday at Hope is the Word.

Disclosure: If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

3 comments:

Sam and Boo said...

What a cute idea. I'll have to steal this once Boo's a bit older. :) And apparently we'll have to look into the book, since both Britt's Boo and the Biblophile enjoyed it so much.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I thought my daughter would like this book and we bought it but after reading it once she hasn't asked for it again. I'll have to try again this week. However, she does love Duck and Goose by the same author.

Britt said...

YEA for Rocket!! We really need to just buy this one. My kids are going to be so sad when it has to go back to the library.

I LOVE your review sheet!! I've been trying to get Boo to give more input when I review kids books...

Her newest thought is that she wants Tad Hills' autograph, so I think I'm going to let/help her write to him. :)