Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Giraffe Crafts and Companion Books

The Bibliophile's chosen focus animal this week is the giraffe.  I hunted down some cute crafts and a few appropriate library books.

First, we did this darling (and easy!) giraffe craft that I found here.   All it requires is three clothespins, paper, scissors, glue, and something to make the spots with (we used do-a-dot marker).  We used an old paint chip sample for the body, which made it nicely sturdy.

And then we made this face mask.  I have been meaning to incorporate more scissor time into our day (or, let's face it, ANY scissor time.  I don't know why I never think of it).  So I let him cut up strips of brown paper into confetti, and then we used those as spots to decorate the giraffe.

Here are the companion books we read:

Giraffe (Natural World)
Giraffe (Natural World): The book was a little advanced for him (he's 2 years, 9 months), so I just skimmed, reading selected parts aloud.  I also decided to try something new and kept a piece of paper with us while we read it.  I wrote down certain facts that we learned from the book.  I thought it would help to have a few key things to read over during the week and retain (more on how that really worked later).  Here were our simple giraffe facts:
Giraffes are the tallest animals
Giraffes live in Africa.
Giraffes eat leaves off of trees.
Giraffes can't swim.
Giraffes sleep standing up, only four hours per night.

A Kiss for LilyA Kiss for Lily
This was a cute concept.  Lily the giraffe wants a kiss, but she can't seem to get one, due to her extreme height (no one can reach).  Eventually her friend Michael, a boy who lives nearby, comes up with a plan, and succeeds in making her wish come true.  The Bibliophile enjoyed it.  I liked the problem solving employed by Michael.  But I thought the end was a little too... well...a bit much.  Judge for yourself:
"Michael gave Lily a kiss on the cheek.  It was so nice, he gave her a kiss on the other cheek too.  And that was so very, very nice, he gave her a kiss one each eye as well.  / Lily smiled and licked Michael's face and then happily shut her eyes and went to sleep dreaming of Michael's sweet, warm kisses."

Story of GiraffeStory of Giraffe
This story begins with Noah warning Giraffe that he needs to go find a girl giraffe and get on the arc quickly.  So Giraffe tries to find his female other (mostly by asking his animal friends), to no avail.  Eventually, he finds himself late for the arc, and in deep water (literally).  Employing some skills taught to him by his fish friend earlier that day, he is able to swim to the arc.  Here is the Bibliophile's reaction to it, and my proud mommy "I taught him that!" moment:

Me: Did you like this book?
Bibliophile: Yes!
Me: What did you like about it?
Bibliophile:  You [I] liked that he asked all of his animal friends.
Me: Is there anything that you did not like about it?
Bibliophile: You [I] did not like that a giraffe can’t swim.
Another giraffe (and mouse) book we read last year and enjoyed was Never Too Little to Love.  You  can read our old review of it here.

For the rest of the week, we'll probably just have a giraffe snack (lettuce and some sort of "twigs"),  play with a large animal sticker book that he has been wanting to reappear for while, and review the few facts we learned from the first book.  I'd like to say that we'll go see the giraffes at the local zoo, but my membership expired this month, and I think I'll wait until next spring to renew. 

I will be linking this post up with Little Masterpieces, STart, Read Aloud Thursday, A Crafty Soiree, and Kids Get Crafty.

Comment: Do you have any favorite giraffe crafts or books to share?  What are your or your kids' favorite animals?  Apparently next week will be orangutan week around here (when he said "monkey," I thought we had it easy, but he clarified).

Disclosure: If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

14 comments:

Christy said...

I love your giraffes. The giraffe is my favorite animal. The Roger Williams Zoo had a newborn giraffe this summer - did you happen to see it when you were in RI? So sweet!

I haven't read any of these books. Thanks.

Here is a link to the handprint giraffes we made: http://superheroesandprincesses.blogspot.com/search/label/giraffes

welcome to our wonderland said...

LOVE Giraffes they are my favorite!!!
LOVE your crafts!!! :)
LOVE all these books my fave and sprites fave is: Never too little to love by Jeanne Willis

about a mouse who has to stand on tons of things to give the giraffe a kiss :)

Sam and Boo Book Reviews said...

The giraffe crafts are great, and I'll have to keep a look out for the books.

It's not a giraffe-specific book, but I Know a Rhino by Charles Fuge is the book that taught Boo what a giraffe is, though not in the most realistic setting. :)

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love that first craft - so cute, and I like your little overview of facts that you are doing. Great books too, we haven't read any of them.

RedTedArt said...

Oh my these Giraffes are JUST THE CUTEST!!! My word, how lovely and cute. the Peg ones are brilliant but love the mask too!!!

You must add it to this random project: http://www.onemilliongiraffes.com/

I have already added 3 of mine :-) (you can see one here: http://www.redtedart.com/2010/05/26/story-art-great-start-giraffes-cant-dance/

THANK YOU so much for linking up to Kids Get Crafty. Love seeing everyones craftiness and getting new ideas!!!

Hope to see you again!

Maggy

Michelle said...

Ah, that is a darling giraffe craft and it looks super simple! {I love giraffes!} Will check out the books, too. Thanks! =)

Brimful Curiosities said...

My daughter made a clothespin reindeer craft for Christmas in school one year. Wonder who thought to use clothespins to make animals? Brillant! We did do a "Letter G" giraffe craft this summer: http://www.brimfulcuriosities.com/2010/07/how-to-clean-hippopotamus-by-steve.html

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Scissor time is so hard to remember - maybe it's the mess of all those little snips :)

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love the craft, books and the super book review.

Jeanette said...

We love giraffes too! These are great crafts.

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

That clothes pin giraffe is the cutest evah! Not so educational about giraffes but we love Never Too Little to Love, which has a giraffe in it. The fun graduated sizes of the pages and pop up last page make it a fun read. Thanks for linking to A Crafty Soiree! I hope to see you next week too!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I love this, too, because giraffes are my favorites! :-) Cute, cute craft!

We went to the zoo this past week and I posted several giraffe pictures here--> http://www.hopeisthewordblog.com/2010/09/10/weekly-wrap-upseptember-6-10-2010/

Michelle said...

I love Giraffes too, this project is so cute. I will have to remember it to do with Emily! Thank you so much for linking up to stART :0)

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

The clothes peg giraffe is just so gorgeous.