Sunday, September 26, 2010

Laptop craft


The Bibliophile can be slightly finicky about crafts.  He usually enjoys them once we start, but given the option -- with his learning boxes, for instance, which contain an arts and crafts drawer, they are never his first choice.  He would rather do workbooks, games, and printed puzzle sort of activities.  So, when he said the other day:
I have an idea!  We will make a computer for Gran and Nana... a little computer!
Apple MacBook Pro MC374LL/A 13.3-Inch LaptopI made sure to stick the materials in his box for later that day.  I was roughly emulating my beloved Macbook- with which the Bibliophile is very familiar, but I skipped the touchpad.

I cut out the three pieces (keyboard, downloaded from this site, monitor, and screen), and gave him glue sticks to attach them together.  Then he wrote "Gran" and "Nana" on the two screens.



After that, Daddy suggested that he do some pretend typing on the keyboards.  He "typed" and softly whispered as he typed:
Hi.  How are you today?  I am going to the supermarket to buy groceries.  And soon I will go home to run fast on the grass.
I am linking this post up with Tot Tuesday, Crafty Soiree, and the Art Box.

Comments: How do you structure your kids computer time?  Do they have free reign of your computer?  Do they have their own?  Do you limit their time to a set amount, such as 1 hour per day?  Or are they forbidden from using it entirely? 

Disclosure: If you click on any links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a commision through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

6 comments:

Christy said...

I love it when kids specifically ask for a craft.

We have one computer and five people in our house. We are very strict about computer time. When C comes home from school, I set R up on the computer so that C can work on his homework without distractions. When C finishes all of his homework neatly and correctly, he gets a turn on the computer. That is about all the time they get. My 13 year old is only allowed to use the computer for school projects. I don't want him using social networks or looking where he should not be looking. My husband and I have free reign :0)

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I used to make these when I ran the computer lab at school. It was a great way for children to explore and learn where the keys were.

Raising a Happy Child said...

What a neat craft! As you know, I think electronics should be limited even though we certainly have plenty of computers to go about in the house and eventually Anna will have her own laptop. Even when she does, I don't think she is going to have "a free reign" of it until she is a teenager. Now she is on computer for about 30 minutes a day playing DreamBox, and she also plays on my iPod when we are out and about and have to wait. I won't let her on my iPod at home, because I like to reserve it for special occasions.

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

What a super idea - and way to go giving him something to make that you know he already wants to do! I love his little letter to the grandmothers, so sweet!

Jackie H. said...

First of all, I love this craft. I think my little boy would like to have his own laptop to play with. Maybe it would make a good car toy? My oldest is only 2. I let him use my laptop (with help). My husband works in the IT field so I figure he can fix whatever gets broken (he loves that, let me tell u). Mostly my little guy likes to type his letters into word documents and read books online. I think it's important to expose kids to text both in paper books and electronically.

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

The little Bibliophile is the opposite of ER, she loves craft time! I'm glad you found one he really likes. I'm so glad you included your story about him typing. That is so precious! Thanks for sharing with us at A Crafty Soiree! Please join us next time too!