Monday, September 6, 2010

Math Monday

We did four math activities last week (the Bibliophile is 2 years, 9 months old) --

1.  Counting Cars activity: see Counting Cars post and printable here.

2.  Penny Toss Tally

I made up a quick printable to introduce the idea of a tally.  It contained two columns - one for heads, one for tails - and instructed him to flip the penny 10 times and record the results.  It was over in far less time than it took to create the printable, but I guess it accomplished its purpose, and he enjoyed the flipping and using a marker.

3.  Smarties Graph

We used a pack of smarties to create a bar graph measuring how many colors of each were in the pack.  He was very excited to get to touch candy at 9:30am.  He surprisingly didn't eat any the whole time he was doing the activity, but then ran around afterward eating it and shouting, "candy for breakfast?!" afterward (for the record: he had already eaten a real breakfast).

4.  I also made a "Which Number is Bigger" worksheet for him, asking him to circle the larger of two double or triple digit numbers.  I thought he had been getting a little confused when bidding in monopoly lately (choosing a smaller number instead of a larger one sometimes), but he got them all right straight away.  I realized as he was finishing it that I made the larger number second every single time.  Oops.  I don't think he noticed, though.

Thanks to the great suggestions on an earlier post this week, I put a bunch of MathStarts books on hold at the library this week, so I'm looking forward to checking those out.  We also picked up a math workbook this week at the Dollar Store that we might use a bit in the boxes next week.  I had some theme ideas (shapes - he knows the basics but not the fancier ones, measuring, addition, etc.), but I think we will probably take it easy and do another hodge podge "learning box" with Math this week.

Comment: What fun math/counting activities have you been up to lately, or are your favorites from the past?

Disclosure: If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

9 comments:

Joyful Learner said...

We read Talley O'Malley for tallies and will play a probability game using tallies this week. This will be in my next week's post after we do it with the math group where each child will pick a color. The coin toss would make a lovely follow up activity to do at home!

There's a bunch of other things but it's work in progress right now. Mainly it goes with our 100 day celebration theme.

Love all the activities you did! Thanks for sharing!

Christy said...

I love everything you did. My kids would love candy for breakfast!!!

MaryAnne said...

We've just been playing with manipulatives at our house. We graphed m&m candies a while back, though and it was an activity my kids really enjoyed!

Sam and Boo Book Reviews said...

Heh. We're still trying to get the concept of counting across to Boo. He can recite numbers up to 25, but he hasn't quite made the connection that a trio of blueberries in my hand is three. He'll happily "count" the legs on a toy octopus or a picture of a bug, but he doesn't yet realize he should stop when he gets back to the leg he started on; he keeps going until he gets to the number he wants. Apparently everything in the universe has exactly ten legs. :)

I'll have to see if I can adopt some of these excellent ideas down to his level.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I think the Skittles graph would be a big hit here :)

Infant Bibliophile said...

@Sam I think it is tough to get the one to one correspondence thing down (I think that's the fancy term? I am always saying "one number per thing!" to my boy). He still gets lazy about it if he's tired (not calling YOUR son lazy) and the best way for him to get it was just for me to hold his hand and point with him. There are some great counting books out there though. :). Sounds like your boy is doing great!

Infant Bibliophile said...

Also just realized you said blueberries, which makes me laugh, because it's one of the first things our guy would count. He likes to choose things, so I'd ask "how many blueberries do you want for your snack?" and he'd choose (3, say), and then I'd let him pick them out of the container while we counted.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I tried tally and graphing before, but my daughter was not interested - even with candies. Our only successful graphing was when she got to sort a bunch of craft buttons into shapes and then counted every set. We did both bubble graph and standard vertical graph then. I think she understands the concept well enough and finds all activities designed to reinforce it a bit boring.

Britt said...

These are great ideas!!

Target Dollar Spot has some great workbooks right now-- you should look there too.

Mister's favorite number right now is "plenty", lol!