Sunday, September 19, 2010

Muffin Tin/Math Monday

It's been a long time since we participated in Muffin Tin Monday.  When I saw that this week's theme was "shapes" though, I decided to throw something together, because we've been talking shapes often around here lately.  Besides, he's been asking me to eat out of his muffin tin for awhile now.  Last week I introduced rhombus, trapezoid, and parallelogram to the Bibliophile, so I included those with his lunch, along with some shapes he already knows and a new one (sphere).   I printed off twelve squares of paper with shapes typed on them (circle, rectangle, oval, triangle, square, rhombus, trapezoid, semicircle, star, parallelogram, crescent, and sphere), and rummaged through my cupboards for matching foods.  Here is what I prepared:

From left to right, starting with the top row: Enjoy Life "Happy Apple" cookie (CIRCLE), blueberry fruit strip (RECTANGLE), potato chip (OVAL), nacho chip (TRIANGLE), Josef's cinnamon cookie (SQUARE), carved blueberry fruit strip (RHOMBUS), carved sweet potato (TRAPEZOID), half of a potato chip (SEMICIRCLE), candy sprinkles (STAR), carved sweet potato (PARALLELOGRAM and rather messy CRESCENT), chicken nuggets (SPHERE)
Once I showed it to him, I removed all of the little pieces of paper, and then let him match them all up.  He got them all on the first try, little smartiepants.

Looking for books about shapes? (Link goes to our previous reviews).

I am linking this post up with Muffin Tin Monday and Math Monday.

Comments: Have you been up to any mathematical fun this week?  Are you visiting from Muffin Tin Monday?  Leave a comment and say hi!

Disclosure: If you click on any links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

10 comments:

Raising a Happy Child said...

Those shapes look yummy. I have review of my favorite math books for my math post tomorrow - I think you will find it interesting.

Joyful Learner said...

Smart momma = smart IB!
I think if I did an activity like that, our daughter will never forget her shapes! Wonderful idea!

Wonder Mom said...

Oh, shapes are so much more fun when you can eat them!

Michelle said...

What a great idea!!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

What wonderful shapes. I am not ready to create advanced shapes yet. I will be sticking to circles and squares.

Alie said...

What a great learning tool!

Mommyof2girlz said...

Fun, delish and educational! Awesome tin and so creative :)

Island Mom said...

Such a cute idea! I like the name-matching portion of the idea, too.

Holly said...

Great idea! My boys would love that.

Shay S. said...

Wow you put a lot of work into this one w/ the rhombus and parallelogram. Good job & very educational!!