Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tiny Talk Tuesday

It seems like the Bibliophile is making us laugh much more often lately with his speech.  Many of the things he says are just amusing in the cute way he says them, or how adult-like they sound coming out of his little mouth.  So they don't necessarily translate well to typing up and sharing.  But here are a few of my favorites lately:

I was taking a bath, and he wanted me to open the front door for him (so he could get outside to see Daddy).  I told him that I couldn't open the door from the bath.  He said: "We will move the tub out there!"  I said, laughing, "how do you think we could move the tub?"  He said: "Umm, we could...we could...we could...[wheels clearly turning] use a special screwdriver to move the tub!"

I was taking him on a kids helicopter ride at the State Fair, after he had already ridden it earlier with his Dad.  So I asked him how it worked.  He said: "You steer and you have a handle you pull to go up and down and also sometimes you say 'you are doing very well!'"

After hugging me in the supermarket, "because I love you sooooo much.  This much!" (hands spread wide).

Helping me mop the kitchen floor: "I will get this black spot.  Yes, I got it all.  It was hard, but I got it all, because I am a hard worker." (I don't remember ever using that phrase with him, but I guess I must have!).

Mumbling and running into the art supply room with his stool (I've learned to be very afraid when I see him running around with his stool lately).
Me: "What are you getting in there?"
Him: "I am getting some glue, because see, this [paper plate] mask falls right off my face" (demonstrates).
Me: "Well, wait, what are you going to do, glue the mask to your face?"
Him: [long pause] "Umm, no, I will get some pretend glue."

Lemons Are Not Red (Ala Notable Book(Awards)) (Neal Porter Books)"Oh, I just remembered something!" ("remembered" often seems to mean "realized."). . . "I remembered that Lemons Are Not Red and lemons are yellow, and this book is yellow!"

I am linking this post up with Tiny Talk Tuesday.

Comment: What cute things have your kids said this week?

9 comments:

Christy said...

SO cute!

Raising a Happy Child said...

Pretend glue cracked me up - I can see why you are concerned seeing him reaching for art supplies. I love reading the quotes.

Sam and Boo Book Reviews said...

Hee. The (pretend) glue on his face made me laugh out loud.

As for remembering/realizing particular books, I recently had this conversation with Boo:
Me: Pass me the lemon!
Boo: ...
Me: The lemon. Do you remember when we read about lemons?
Boo: Lemons are not red.
Me: That's right. We read about lemons. Give lemon to Mommy.
Boo: Lemons are not red.
Me: Uh huh, that's the book. But-- (stops and realizes the likely problem) Um, do you remember when we yellowed about the lemon?
Boo: Yes! (hands me the lemon)
Me: Oookay then, thank you (makes mental note to avoid all relatively on-topic homophones in future).

Infant Bibliophile said...

@Sam I had to read your comment twice before I even understood! very cute/clever.

Infant Bibliophile said...

@Raising I'm spoiled with the art supplies - I leave huge containers of paint and glue and scissors out all over the house within hands reach. Someday I will probably regret it, but he hasn't let me down yet. I get more nervous about him grabbing the barstools in our kitchen to climb on. I always picture him tumbling over and...it's not pretty.

Debbie said...

These are too cute, especially moving the bath tub and the pretend glue.

MaryAnne said...

I love the pretend glue comment!

And "Lemons Are Not Red" is my husband's favorite children's book =)

kewkew said...

Got a great chuckle out of the pretend glue conversation. Loved all of the things you shared.

Joyful Learner said...

He's such a cutie! I think this is the first time I saw his full face photo! Love his smile!

Your comment made me smile. I have to say that I will miss the wrap-ups in some sense. But I will do my best to post up any cool activities we do on my other posts. I tend to elaborate more when I don't have to squeeze so much in one post.

I know parents compare but right now, I am encouraged by reading about other children who are doing advanced work. It makes me feel less alone and less like a crazy mom for introducing so much. It's just that JC gets it so easily and she enjoys them. If I repeat the same activity more than once or twice, she says it's boring. So, I'm always on the look out for new ideas so I can relate!