Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Very Hungry Caterpillar craft

We did a fun Very Hungry Caterpillar Craft last week that I wanted to share.  I was preparing it for an all-ages craft group, so I wanted to come up with something easy enough for the littlest crafters, but still cute enough to engage pre-K/K.  I love how this came out.  And more importantly, the little guy really enjoyed making it too.

I assume you all have read it, but in case not, here is the book!
The Very Hungry Caterpillar Board Book and Plush (Book&Toy)Very Hungry Caterpillar
Kids love it for the bright colors, fun foods, little (caterpillar bite) holes throughout the book, simple text, and beautiful butterfly at the end.  Parents love it because it teaches about counting, days of the week, life cycles, and nutrition, all very subtly.  It is one of those rare books that doesn't drive you crazy to reread over and over again.

And here is our craft!

First, we made a simple caterpillar.  I thought any very young crafters or those with short attention spans might only get this far (and that's fine).

Materials:
  • Little round circle stickers (we bought ours at Target, but office supply stores would have them too).  Just make sure your pack includes green circles.
  • Large craft "popsicle" sticks
  • googley eyes (you could also just use a marker if choking hazards are a concern)
  • glue
Let the kids pick a stick.  Direct them to put a red/pink sticker near the top for the head and a row of green stickers for the body.  Glue on some eyes.  Voila - caterpillar!  (I also drew some little "L" shaped feet on mine).

Next, we made butterfly wings:

Materials:
Small white coffee filters (two per butterfly)
Something to decorate with (we used do-a-dot markers, more of the circle stickers, and crayons)
Scotch tape

Place two coffee filters together and attach to each other with a piece of scotch tape.  Flip it over and apply another piece of tape to make it extra sturdy.

Let the kids decorate.  They can use more circle stickers, decorative stickers, crayons, markers, glitter, etc.  We mostly used our do-a-dot markers, which are always a hit and fairly no-mess.

Now their butterfly wings are ready.

To finish, and transform your caterpillar into a butterfly, just stick the craft stick into the coffee filter and gently poke a hole for it to slide through.  It is best for parents to do this step, because you don't want to tear the whole thing.  Once done, it should leave enough of the craft stick out to be a handle for playing with the butterfly.

Now run around and make your butterfly fly, reenact the Hungry Caterpillar's transformation, or, if you are my son, put it in front of your face and ask your mother to repeatedly say, "Hello Butterfly!" because it has become your clever disguise.


I am linking this post up with Kids Get Crafty, We Play, Crafty Soiree, and StART.


Comment!  What are your favorite Very Hungry Caterpillar or butterfly crafts?  There are certainly many out there.  Feel free to leave a link to any favorites from your blog if you'd like to share them.

Disclosure: If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

18 comments:

Christy said...

I love The Very Hungry Caterpillar and this craft is so cute.

Raising a Happy Child said...

This is a cute craft that I haven't seen before. I like its simplicity, and how it turned out.

MaryAnne said...

This is super cute! I've seen a bunch of Caterpillar crafts using pom poms, etc, but this is the first time I've seen a caterpillar that could actually transform into a butterfly - brilliant!

RedTedArt said...

Oh my, this is BRILLIANT! I love how the same caterpillar lollipop becomes the butterfly! And perfect for shot attention spans!

Thank you for stopping by Kids Get Crafty!! Much appreciated!

See you again next week (?)

Maggy

Laurie said...

I don't have a blog entry about this, but this is an activity that I used to use when I taught first grade. It's a caterpillar life cycle made with uncooked pasta and a paper plate. :o)

Take a paper plate and divide it into quarters. In the first quarter, draw a picture of a leaf, and glue on a piece of orzo pasta (or rice) to be a butterfly egg.

In the next quarter, draw a leaf or plant, and glue a rotini (spiral) noodle on to be a caterpillar. If you use markers, you can add some color to your caterpillar noodle.

In the third quarter, draw a plant and glue on a shell noodle to be a cocoon hanging from it. You can color it brown if you want it to match the color of the book.

And for the last quarter, draw a sky and some flowers and glue on a bow-tie pasta to be the butterfly. Add color with markers, and some antenna on the plate.

It's a perfect companion activity to The Very Hungry Caterpillar, because it goes through the whole life cycle, just like the book. :o)
Hope your little guy has fun with it! (Plus, then you'll get to eat all kinds of fun-shaped pasta for the next few weeks!)

sibleyweb.wordpress.com

Sam and Boo Book Reviews said...

Ah, this is adorable. Love the caterpillar turning into a butterfly. I'm embarrassed to admit that although I've looked through The Very Hungry Caterpillar in a store, I've never read it with Boo. Guess this is my reminder to put it on hold at the library.

We've never done a butterfly craft, but Boo is in love with My Oh My a Butterfly by Tish Rabe (part of the Cat in the Hat Learning Library). It's really for kids that are significantly older, but Infant Bib might like it as part of a nature lesson. I'll warn you that it's done in a Seussian style rhyme, which is pretty laboured in sections, though, so you might find repetition painful.

Megan said...

We love our do-a-dots and are always looking for new crafts to make with them. Thanks for the butterfly wing idea!

amandab said...

That is a great craft, I love that you get to change the caterpillar into a butterfly :)

Have you been to the Eric Carle website? There is an area called "The Caterpillar Connection" which lists activities for all the books. Not sure if you can add stuff to it (I didn't look around too much) but if you an add I think this would be a lovely addition :)

Brimful Curiosities said...

Creative use of a popsicle stick. I have some of those stickers left from our garage sale so maybe my son and I will try making this tomorrow.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love the coffee filter idea. This looks wonderful.

Anji* said...

We love the Very Hungry Caterpillar! and what a fun and easy crafty activity!

Jenae said...

I love the simplicity of the craft-stick caterpillar! Perfect for my 2 1/2 year old son. Thanks for sharing!

Michelle said...

These are both really cute rafts to go with one of Emily's favorite books!

Thank you for linking up to stART :0)

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

Very sweet and I love that it is nice and simple for lil ones.

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

Wow I LOVE that sticker caterpillar, I've never seen that one before and how simple! Thanks for sharing A Crafty Soiree! It's always nice to see friends on it!

Anonymous said...

i wish you had a picture of how to fold the wings into the pocket. it seems like a good idea. i just have no idea how you did that part. i guess it will take a bit of practice. but if you could please post a pic.

Infant Bibliophile said...

@Anonymous I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. These are small coffee filters, and the two wings are just attached together with scotch tape, so there isn't really any folding or pocket. And the craft stick just pokes through a little hole. Feel free to comment again if that's not what you meant.

The Book Chook said...

I love finding ideas for helping kids make meaning from books! Thanks for posting about this article at we teach - I can see why you loved it. That caterpillar is so cute but simple!