Friday, September 10, 2010

What My Child Is Reading

We visited the library quite a few times this week.  We read many books on the floor of the library, and my Checked Out list also ballooned.  Other than his old books, which he likes to read over and over again at bedtime, the Bibliophile has been less keen on rereading books lately.  This means that our list of books read seems much longer, but there isn't actually much MORE reading done than usual.  Just more variety.  I'm not sure how I feel about that... exposure to multiple books is good, but I think he understands them better when we reread them, at least a few times.  It is also getting a little harder to discern his reaction to books.  For the most part, he enjoys reading a book, but is less hot/cold than he used to be -- he claims to like every book we read, but doesn't ask to reread many.  So, apologies if our reviews are wishy washy lately. 


Elmer (Elmer Books)Elmer
I was feeling tired at the library and wanted to sit down.  I noticed Elmer near a comfy looking couch and convinced the Bibliophile to take a breather with me.  I'd heard of the book (and seen the stuffed animal!), but never read it.  Elmer is a patchwork elephant living in a world of normal grey elephants.  He doesn't like being so different, so he colors himself with "elephant-colored" berries one day.  He returns home, and blends right in with all of the other elephants, but finds himself bored.  He finds a way to make everyone laugh, and a rainstorm washes his paint away, revealing his costume.  Once a year, all of the elephants paint themselves in bright colors to remember how much he amused them that day.  We both enjoyed it.  Tonight as he read it a second time, he said, "we could make one of those elephants," so this might reappear as a "St+art" project sometime.  We'll have to check out more in this series.

Mr. Tickle (Mr. Men and Little Miss)Mr. Chatterbox (Mr. Men and Little Miss)He spotted a shelf of "Mr. Men and Little Miss" books from across the library (what eyes!) and darted toward them.  His favorite thing about these books is to read off the names of all of the characters on the back of the book, using appropriately amusing voices or actions (like bumping into us as he says "Mr. Bump," or saying, "Mr. ... ummm ... ummmm ... forgetful.).  But, I am also surprised that he sits through the whole books.  They pack a lot of words into these little paperbacks!  The two we read this week were
Mr. Chatterbox and Mr. Tickle.  The Mr. Chatterbox story was cute.  A salesman gets Mr. Chatterbox to unknowingly buy a magic hat that grows whenever he talks too much (engulfing him and returning to normal as he stops talking).  I haven't read Mr. Tickle; we saved that one for Daddy to read him.


My Granny Went to MarketMy Granny Went to Market.   I saw this reviewed on No Time for Flashcards, and thought the Bibliophile might like it, because he loves geography.  The story focuses on a grandmother's trip around the world, and the shopping she does in each country.  I think Daddy read it through with him once.  When I read it with him a second time a few days later, he seemed bored and I let him stop midway.  I think he is really a bit more interested in maps than learning about what's IN the countries (like things to buy).  It's a cute book though and was definitely worth a read.

One BoyFirst the Egg (Caldecott Honor Book and Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor Book (Awards))We read two new (to us) Laura Vaccaro Seeger books during a library visit: First the Egg and One Boy.  Again, I'd heard of these, but I don't think we'd ever read them.  Both were good enough to recommend to others, but we left them at the library because of the whole lack of rereading lately.  First the Egg is about life stages - first the egg, then the chicken; first the caterpillar, then the butterfly; etc.  One Boy is a counting book, but also contains a neat feature in which the words of one page sort of transform into the next as the page is turned and some letters of the first appear in the next.  (I'm explaining this poorly - one drawback of leaving the book at the library before reviewing it).  I think the Bibliophile noticed and was intrigued by this feature, as he's reading more on his own now and interested in the concept of compound words and word formation generally.

We also read a few books from the Mathstart series (I'll be posting about these on Monday), one about Iceland (posted about here), some Spanish-related fiction books (posted about here) and a few giraffe-themed books (posted about here).

I'm linking this post up with What My Child Is Reading and Kid Konnection.

Comment: Have you read any of these?  Like them, hate them? What else are your children reading/enjoying lately?

Disclosure: If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

10 comments:

Joyful Learner said...

We own the set of Mr. and Ms. books and JC loves them!

The granny that travels around the world and loves to shop...that sounds like my MIL! I must get that book for her!

Lori said...

I am stopping by from the weekly wrap up. Fun books! We love the mathstart books- I am not sure we would read them "just for fun", but they are a nice entertaining way to squeeze in some learning while reading. :)

Lori said...

Oh! And my son is really in to Bill Peet books right now. He knows right where Mr. Peet's spot is on the library shelves and goes straight to it to find new titles.

Infant Bibliophile said...

@Joyful Learner That's so funny. Your MIL will probably love it.

@Lori I don't think we have read any Bill Peet books. I'll have to take a look! They look very cute.

Raising a Happy Child said...

Thanks for joining WMCIR. We also exploded in the number of books at around IB's age, and now Anna reads many books only once. Still she has her favorites - both for independent reading and for joint reading. I usually judge her interest seeing if I find a particular book in her bed. I love Barefoot books, but it looks like the amount of text is too little for Anna, at least in the ones that we read. Elmer (and especially Elmer and the Kangaroo) is one of our favorites here.

Christy said...

We have actually read all of these books! We own two of the Elmer books and of course we have made our own Elmer in the past. It's one of those books that lends itself to an art project!!!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We go through stages where the kids aren't "in love" with any of the books we pick up - but all of your picks sound pretty interesting.

Julie P. said...

Great collection of books! I totally need the Mr. Chatterbox one for my little guy. That's what we always call him. Thanks for sharing.

Brimful Curiosities said...

We need to read Elmer...it's one of those classics we've missed.

Infant Bibliophile said...

@Raising We will definitely look for Elmer and the Kangaroo!

@Christy true! I have a lot of fabric, so I thought it would be fun to let him use scraps to glue down. I *should* make him an Elmer but I'm not that ambitious in my sewing lately.

@Julie That's great that you call him that - sounds like you just found a stocking stuffer! We call our son "Little Charmer" all the time, but I don't think there is a Mr. Charming book. :)

@Brimful That's how I felt about it too.