Friday, September 17, 2010

What My Child is Reading

I mentioned a few books we have read this week in our Weekly Wrap Up post.  In addition we've read:

Elmer Again (Elmer Books)Elmer Again  -- We are loving these Elmer books, and I suspect we'll continue to pick one up each time we visit the library, until we have made it through our branch's collection.  In Elmer Again, Elmer decides to liven things up by playing a practical joke on the other elephants.  Both the bibliophile and I have enjoyed our multiple reads of it this week.  I'm really getting the itch to try stitching up an Elmer ourselves.

Cars: Rally Race (Disney Pixar (Quality))Cars: Rally Race -- When we get to the library, I like to ask the Bibliophile what kind of books he would like to look for.  He races to the computerized catalog and sits down to type in the search box.  Lately, he always says "cars," and he means the Disney themed variety.  So, we picked up two related chapter books from the "graphic novel" section of the library this week (I'll just include one here because we haven't started the second yet). They are written in a comic book style.  We've been making our way through Rally Race, one chapter at a time before bed.  In general, I'm not a big fan of the comic book format or of movies-turned-books, but I find the Disney Cars storyline quite tolerable.  He loves them (not sure how much he is comprehending, despite my best efforts to explain, but he keeps requesting more of them).  Also, he seems to sleep quite well after reading them, so I think the extra brainwork to figure them out helps me in my bedtime efforts.  Rally Race is about Lightening McQueen organizing a charity race in Radiator Springs.

First Friends (Growing Tree)First Friends 
He picked this one up as he left the library.  Its short rhymes accompany simple illustrations of boys and girls at play ("We see a little girl who has a truck.  And a little boy who has a duck.  / We see a little boy who has a chair.  And a little girl who has a pear.").  Midway through the book, the story takes a turn: "They all came here to play today, / and this is what we hear them say:" followed by pages showing how the children share their toys with one another.  A pleasant little first reader with a nice message.


Baby Einstein: See and Spy ShapesBaby Einstein See and Spy Shapes -- A simple board book about shapes, this one has a quizzing style that has always delighted the Bibliophile.  ("The horns upon my head are gold and shaped like triangles, I am told.  A triangle has three straight sides.  Can you find three more, besides?").

I am linking this post up with What My Child is Reading.

It just struck me while rereading this that this list contains a picture book, graphic novel/chapter book, first reader, and board book.  Pretty typical of the variety of books we have been reading lately!  

Comment: What are you or your kids reading this week?

Disclosure: If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

6 comments:

Abbie said...

Always love to see what other families are reading.
Thanks for sharing.

Raising a Happy Child said...

We are big fans of Elmer here too. Anna never showed any interest in Supermen/Cars/Star Wars books in the library - she calls them "boys' books". I like your reading variety, and thanks for joining WMCIR.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Our sons would get along well. My son loves those Cars books, too, along with all his Thomas books. I need to check out Elmer yet!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Cars books are always a big hit here, too :)

Christy said...

Funny, my son never had any interest in Cars. We all love Elmer. I think elephant appreciation day is the 22nd or one day next week if that is not it.

Debbie said...

I have heard so much about Elmer, I will have to check it out.