Thursday, October 28, 2010

Carnival of Messy Play (Handprints)

The Naturestore is holding a Carnival of Messy Play today, and we decided to take part.  My son isn't very big on getting messy (and, I admit, I haven't exactly encouraged it).  He will agree to fingerpaint or other messy projects, but after a couple of minutes, he declares himself "all done," and I have to just clean it all up.  Still, I feel like it is a good thing to encourage him to let loose and have some good messy fun now and then.  I decided to keep it simple, and asked him today if he'd like to make some handprints with paint.  He very enthusiastically agreed, and ran to his paints, directing me as to which colors to pour out.

He had a lot of fun with it.  He might have even kept it up for 6 minutes or so.  A new messy craft record.  After the handprints, he also stamped/rubbed/smeared a bit with a make-up applicator type sponge. 

I know there are hundreds of crafty things we could have done with our finished prints (we did make some quick turkeys), but we mostly just had fun enjoying them for what they were.  Which, according to the Bibliophile were:

A Big Weird Elephant:


and

A Big Weird Lion:


Well, obviously.

I am linking this post up with Play Academy's Carnival of Messy Play.

Comment: Have you been up to any messy fun lately? Do you find yourself encouraging your kids to be less messy or more messy (when it comes to art, that is)?

Disclosure: If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

5 comments:

Joyful Learner said...

JC is tactile sensitive so many things bothered her. Luckily, she's gotten better but still doesn't like getting wet or dirty. I try to encourage messy play but I realize I'm not that good at it as well.

MaryAnne said...

Emma is a lot like your son - even when we do messy play she doesn't get messy herself! I think it's neat that you just left the handprints and let your son lead the way, instead of turning it into something cute and structured (although that is of course fun too!)

Sam and Boo Book Reviews said...

Huh. I'd have guessed that the lion was the orange one and the elephant the blue. Clearly I am not as creative and artistic as Infant Bib. :)

Raising a Happy Child said...

Well... I am all for messy play as long as it is happening outside. I don't like messy play in the house, and my husband likes it even less. Anna is not actively asking for messy activities, but enjoys them if she can weave some sort of pretend story around them. For example, mud pies were hugely popular.

cathy @ NurtureStore said...

Thank you so much for joining in with our Messy Play Carnival. Handprint crafts are one of my favourites and my two love getting their hands covered in paint!