Saturday, October 30, 2010

Homemade Allergy-friendly "Peanut butter" (Sunbutter) Cups

 The Bibliophile is allergic to a lot of things, including nuts.  We eat a lot of sunbutter in our house.  Sunbutter is a peanut butter substitute made from sunflower seeds, and it is delicious.  I had a lightbulb moment this week, and decided to try making sunbutter/chocolate cups that would be safe for him.  I didn't use a recipe but I did take a few photos, so I can fib the recipe for you here.  Of course, you can try the same technique with peanut butter and regular chocolate and butter, if you don't have allergy issues.

Wilton Mini Heart Silicone Baking CupsI used Wilton Mini Heart Silicone Baking Cups, which gave them their adorable shape.

I melted Enjoy Life chocolate chips (which are dairy free) in a glass dish in the microwave along with a tablespoon or so of Earth Balance (a dairy-free spread which substitutes for butter.  We buy it at Whole Foods).  I'd tell you an amount, but I was only making 4 sunbutter cups at the time.  Maybe 1/2 cup?  I microwaved them for 1 minute, stirred, and then repeated another 30 seconds or until the chocolate stirred smooth.  Then I spooned some chocolate into the bottom of each cup, and spread the chocolate up the sides a little bit (you don't want it all the way up.  That would be one huge sunbutter cup).  If your chocolate is smooth enough, you might be able to use a pastry brush, but that didn't work for me, so I just used a spoon to do it. 


Then I stuck those in the fridge to harden a bit while I got out my sunbutter.  I microwaved some sunbutter in a bowl with a small amount (teaspoon?) of Earth Balance, just enough to melt the Earth Balance.  Then I stirred it smooth.  Spoon a bit of sunbutter into each cup, and it will look like this:


Back into the fridge they went while I melted more chocolate.  I spooned a bit of the melted chocolate onto each cup, and used a toothpick to swirl it around.  You could use more chocolate, and it will create a smoother, more finished look.


Then I put them back into the fridge for one final firming up - this time for an hour or so.  When we were ready to eat them, they slid easily out of the cups with no sticking. 

The finished product (which could have looked much more lovely in these photos if I cleaned up the sides a bit, but we were too anxious to dive in!):



YUM.  I think I found our snack for our "H" themed playgroup this week.

Disclosure: If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

10 comments:

Joyful Learner said...

I can't tell you how excited I am to see this! We have all the ingredients you mentioned and it's so easy to do! Now, JC can homemade sweets too! :)

Infant Bibliophile said...

I'm so glad! Hope you enjoy them as much as we did. :) Have you made allergy-friendly "muddy buddies"? We make those often (just rice chex, chocolate chips, earth balance, sunbutter, and confectioner's sugar). Not sure if the recipe is on my blog, but I can email it to you if you want it.

momnivore said...

Looks like you are at Whole Foods as much as we are! These are darling...

Infant Bibliophile said...

@momnivore Whole Foods is taking way too much of my savings!

Joyful Learner said...

Yes, we would love the recipe!

Joyfulearner@zoho.com

I am not a baker so we always bake from boxes. Bob mills chocolate cake is our favorite allergy free mix.

As for spending $$ at Whole Foods, it's no joke!

Infant Bibliophile said...

http://foodallergyfeast.blogspot.com/2009/08/safe-muddy-buddies-recipe.html

Jenny said...

Reese's PB cups are my favorite candy! How awesome that you found a way to make them allergy free!

Elizabeth, blogging for SunButter said...

Hello,
After seeing your blog mentioned on other blogs--particularly this post on the SunButter cups, I was happy to find your great read. As a SunButter blogger, I love your fresh (safe) twist on a familiar favorite-and tip on the muddy buddies. Looking forward to more of your adventures in the kitchen. I'd love to hear how the H playgroup gang liked them...

Christy said...

We are Whole Foods shoppers too and I drive 25 minutes to get there!!!

These sound great. I'll have to give them a try.

I am always too anxious and impatient to clean up before I photograph foods for pictures. I'm also often too lazy to edit my pictures.

Karen said...

Great recipe! I only eat sunbutter myself & I used to love Reese's PB cups. Can't wait to try these.