Monday, October 25, 2010

Homophones, Homonyms, and Knock Knock Jokes for the Pre-K/Kindergarten Set

I can't remember how, but at some point last week, the Bibliophile discovered knock knock jokes and riddles.  Some he has been fairly accurately retelling, such as:
Knock Knock
Who's there?
Police
Police Who?
Police open the door and let me in.
Other times, he lets loose with complete nonsense that nonetheless amuses me to no end.  One of his first original jokes:
Knock Knock
Who's there?
Pizza Man.
Pizza Man who?
Pizza Man hope nobody hears me on the potty!
It is clear that he really has no idea why any of them are funny.  He just likes the retelling, and the knowledge that what he says will make us laugh, I suppose.  Last week, after I said something, he said, "that's a funny thing for a little old lady to say."  I had no IDEA where he had gotten that from, until he explained to me the next day that it was from a joke Daddy told him:
Knock Knock
Who's there?
Little old lady.
Little old lady who?
I didn't know you could yodel.
Book Suggestions

I decided this week that I would get him a knock knock joke book at the library.  I wasn't the only one.  Daddy, the Bibliophile, and I went to the library.  When we first arrived, I watched him while Daddy got some books.  Then I dashed off to get the book that I had picked out for him.  When we met up again, we realized that Daddy and I were both holding joke books for him!  Here was my pick:

Knock Knock Who's There: My First Book Of Knock Knock JokesKnock Knock Who's There: My First Book Of Knock Knock Jokes

This went to the top of my list when I saw that the auther was Tad Hill, author of the Duck and Goose series.  It is a PERFECT first joke book.  Each joke, a pun on a name, is told in combination with a fold out flap.  The jokes are simple and fairly easy to understand.  Excerpt:
Knock Knock
Who's there?
Luke.
Luke who?
Luke out below!
I haven't read Daddy's two picks in detail, but I have heard many of the jokes recited aloud, much to the Bibliophile's delight.
Best Knock-Knock Book Ever
Best Riddle Book Ever

Companion activity

Truly, I don't think the Bibliophile understands any of the jokes yet.  But I do think he is very close to getting them.  Making flashcards to teach him why something is funny just seems wrong!  I'm OK with him just laughing in ignorant bliss for now.
Still, the homeschooling minded mama in me couldn't resist a little lesson in homophones (I first thought they were called homonyms, but Wikipedia's page on homonyms showed me the error of my ways).  I've explained to him what a homophone is, and after a few examples on his doodler yesterday, decided to do a few matching sheets with him today during lunch.  (Yes, that says "pee."  It is hard to think of homophones on the fly that a not yet 3 year old can read!).

He enjoyed it and did very well, just getting a little trigger happy to match up words like "wood" with "we'd" or "so" with "see" before I asked him to look for a better match.  He always wants to write an activity for me after I write him one, and after this one, he told me that he had thought of one -- "cereal" and "Samuel."  Close enough for now!  When I explained that he could use that for a knock knock joke, like "Knock Knock.  Who's there?  Samuel.  Samuel who?  Samuel and milk," he just looked at me blankly. 

I will leave you with one more of the Bibliophile's favorite riddles:
What do you call a gorilla with a banana in each ear?
Whatever you want; he can't hear you!
Comment!  Do your kids have any favorite knock knock jokes?

Disclosure: If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

5 comments:

Raising a Happy Child said...

I think Anna only heard them occasionally so far. This is where my language barrier comes in - I don't find knock-knock jokes funny because I cannot quite see the punchline in many of them. Anna cannot either, but I am sure she will learn them soon enough when she goes to school. However the book of Tad Hill looks intriguing - I have to look for it.

Joyful Learner said...

Who knew homophones, homonyms, homographs, etc. were so complicated! I remember as a child learning to call them homonyms until the word homophones was introduced. Now, there are more variations and words?! Just goes to show you, we need to keep on learning because whatever we learned years ago is outdated! Just imagine another decade and lot of what we teach our kids will be useless.

If IB is laughing, at least he's getting that it's a joke! That's pretty good for his age! That alone is a hard concept for kids. Whenever I say something odd, JC has learned to say, "Are you joking, mom?" She does not take jokes well and sometimes gets mad when I laugh. But she will laugh when she sees something quirky or off. We did knock knock jokes before and I just got blank stares.

Kristen said...

They don't get them at this age, but they love them! I'll have to find that book for my boys I think they'd get a kick out of it.

Christy said...

My kids love them too. This is their favorite:
Knock Knock
Who's there?
Cargo
Cargo who?
Car go beep beep

Thank you Moose A. Moose for that one.

Even at 6 and 4, my kids still make up knock knock jokes that make no sense.

Mozi Esme said...

Looks like we are right on topic! Interesting tidbit on homonyms - I think we were taught the looser non-technical sense. :)

I just checked, and our library doesn't have the Tad Hill book - but I AM going to check out the joke book section next time we go. I think it's time...