Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Matisse-Inspired Art (sort of)

We read a great book about Matisse this week, and did an inspired craft.

Matisse the King of Color (Anholt's Artists Books for Children Series)Matisse the King of Color

This is beautifully illustrated, and reads more like a fictional picture book than a nonfiction book.  The Bibliophile enjoyed it.  I'm excited to see that there are other books in this series (Degas, Van Gogh, Leonardo, Picasso, and Monet).  At the conclusion of the book, Matisse creates a series of stained glass windows at the Chapelle du Rosaire de Vence (Chapel of the Rosary).

Our project is hardly reminiscent of Matisse, but the rough idea was that we would copy 1) the idea of stained glass, 2) the idea of symmetry (hardly unique to Matisse, but new to the Bibliophile), and 3) bright colors.  We didn't actually have any contact paper, but we picked up a roll of sticky frosted window covering that worked fine for our purposes (probably not as much streaming of light through the finished project).  I completely forgot to take photos during the crafting process, but I just laid out a sheet of it for him, sticky side up, alongside a pile of brightly colored tissue paper.


I showed him what symmetry meant, and I had lightly creased the center of the sticky paper, so there was a dividing line down the middle.  You may not be able to tell in the finished piece, but he did very well at laying down most of his papers symmetrically.  He's very proud of it, and periodically walks up to it and says, "you [I] made art like Matisse!"  Here is where he chose to hang it:


I'm considering trying out this excerpt from the book (I'm thinking chalk tied to a broom stick, with paper taped to the ceiling?) before we return it to the library:
Matisse loved children, too.  He tied chalk to a long stick so that he could draw his grandchildren on the ceiling.  'They keep me company when I can't sleep,' he said.
 I am linking this post up with Artists and Art, the Art Box, Red Ted Art, STart, Crafty Soiree, and Little Masterpieces.

Comment!  Have you done anything artsy lately?  Think I will ever get around to finding and buying contact paper? :)

Disclosure: If you click on any links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

13 comments:

Joyful Learner said...

I love Matisse! The collage came out great! I'm hoping to do Mattise when we get back.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I agree - the collage looks awesome. I think we tried to do Matisse once long time ago, but it wasn't too successful. I have to see if our library has this book.

The girl who painted trees said...

Lovely collage. We did Matisse cut-outs here: http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com/2009/11/open-ended-art-matisse.html quite a while back.

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

What a great collage, and great lesson on symmetry! I love Matisse too. :) Thanks for linking up!

welcome to our wonderland said...

love the collage Matisse is such a fun artist for kids to do! :)

thanks for linking up to little masterpieces!

Christy said...

Great idea. We did some art this week after reading a few Warhol books, but the art was simply inspired by the idea of creating art and not at all in the style of the artist. That is fine with me though!

MaryAnne said...

That book sounds neat, and I'm very impressed at your son's ability to make such a symmetrical picture!

I bought contact paper from Amazon - found some nice matte stuff that I like better than the regular kind. I've bought it from Staples, too, but I'm pretty sure it was more expensive there...

RedTedArt said...

Oh my! I love the "I made art like Matisse" comment. How cute ist that!!!

Love the sound of the book and the artwork!

Thanks again to for linking up to Kids Get Crafty! Much appreciated!

Maggy

Cristina said...

I've been to the Chapelle du Rosaire, and I can tell you, Kevin's stained glass is WAY better. :)

(Crazy what we could do and see before kids, right?)

amandab said...

There are some really fantastic books about artists out there for kids, aren't there? We borrowed one on Feda Kahlo and one on Georgia O' Keeffe for Princess and she loved both of them and really enjoyed the pictures (inspired by the artists work, not any of their actual works although I do feel they could have included a gallery at the end of the books perhaps). And it is fantastic the way it inspires both the interest and the creativity in the kids too :)

Discovering Montessori said...

I really like how your son was so involved in this project. Thank you for sharing this book, I hope my library has a copy of it.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Wow, it turned out wonderful. I did a contact paper project in the spring and my son did not enjoy it at all. Maybe I'll have to try again. I looked up this series by Laurence Anholt and happily noticed my library has a few of the titles. Thanks for the heads up about the books.

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

How cute, ER did something similar only in an ornament shape in playgroup a few years ago. Little did I know it could've doubled as an art lesson! Thanks for sharing with us at A Crafty Soiree! Please join us next time too!