Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Miro-inspired handprint art for Pre-K and beyond

After seeing some of our recent artist-inspired projects lately, a friend recommended that we look into Joan Miro's art.

I was inspired by this painting (can't find a better image of it online, but I believe it is housed at the Miro Foundation) and this quote:
To execute handprints, I begin applying some black, there, on the canvas, and then I put my hand in it, like that, but this black stain serving as my base will now become something quite different. -- from Miro, Earth and Sky (see below).
So, we got out our Crayola fingerpaints, some brown wrapping paper, and got to work.  The Bibliophile generally does NOT like to get messy, so this was a good challenge for him.

First we squeezed some blue paint onto the paper.  You need quite a bit.


Then the Bibliophile stuck his hand in:

And started stamping!


Here is his finished project, next to the inspiration:


We don't have a fantastic book to recommend for learning about Miro.  I got this book, which honestly, we didn't read.  It had way too much text for my son's age and is written in sort of an odd style for a young child.  I had it set aside to take back to the library, and when I thumbed through it, I happened upon the excerpt that inspired our project.
Miro: Earth and Sky (Art for Children)

Just the covers of these other books suggest more fun Miro-inspired projects:
Joan Miro (MoMA Artist Series) Joan MiroJoan Miro 1917-1934: I'm Going To Smash Their GuitarSticker Art Shapes: Joan Miro

I am linking this post up with Artists and Art, Tot Tuesday, Art Box, Red Ted Art, and Little Masterpieces.

Comment!  Have you done any artist-inspired projects lately?  What do you think of Miro?

Disclosure: If you click on any of the links above and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

10 comments:

Christy said...

That looks like art that my daughter will have a lot of fun with! My son doesn't like to get messy either. There have been times when he has refused to touch paint at all and he won't eat maple syrup because it's sticky!

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

This turned out great, and what great inspiration! Matthew has done something similar with handprints from a puddle of paint, but I had no idea it was something Miro had done, lol! Thanks for linking up. :)

welcome to our wonderland said...

that is some cool art.

wish i could get my youngest to get her hands in the paint. we would so do this.

welcome to our wonderland said...

that is some cool art.

wish i could get my youngest to get her hands in the paint. we would so do this.

Phyllis said...

Very colorful artwork.

MaryAnne said...

This is cool. We have yet to try any artist-inspired projects, but I bet Emma would enjoy it.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I like the end result. We just got a couple of artist books - Pollock is one of them. Maybe we will do drip painting as our next project.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

This looks like such a fun project -- very effective!

RedTedArt said...

I do love all the modern art you are doing with your little one! Will now go off and find some more modern books for us too!!

Thank you for the inspiration and reminder!!

..and also for linking up to Kids Get Crafty!!

Maggy

The girl who painted trees said...

Thanks for linking up. I've never even really considered Miro. I'll have to remember him in the future.