Sunday, October 10, 2010

Newton's Laws of Motion... for toddlers?!

A book about Newton's Laws of Motion, at a level that an almost three year old (and of course, older kids too) can understand and enjoy?  It's true!


Newton and Me

A little boy and his pet puppy Newton learn all about forces of motion during their everyday play.  Rather than writing a traditional review, I thought I'd share some excerpts alongside photos of how we chose to demonstrate the principles in the book.

I rolled Newton's ball to him along the ground.  As we played with the ball, here's what we found . . . The ball won't roll far in the rough, grassy yard.
It rolls much farther on a surface that's smooth and hard.
This gave me an idea I wanted to test.
I took out the red truck that I like the best.

I put down the truck on ground that was flat.
Until I would push, my truck stayed where it sat.
When I pushed my toy truck, it went really far.
But even my big push won't move my dad's car.
I realized at the end of the day
that I learned some new things along the way . . .
Playing with Newton gave me the notion
that pushing and pulling are forces of motion.
Thank you to Sylvan Dell for the opportunity to review Newton and Me, which I honestly loved.  And thank you for forgiving me my copious excerpting; it was too cute not to share.  I am linking this post up with Science Sunday, Learning Laboratory, ABC and 123, and We Play.

Comment!  Have you been up to any science-related learning this week? 

Disclosure: I received a publisher copy of Newton and Me at no cost in order to write this review.  If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our relationship with Amazon.com.
 


12 comments:

MaryAnne said...

What a cute way to read a book! I think this would be a great post to link up to Learning Laboratory, too!

And that book sounds very cute.

A for science in our house, my kids are all about their magnifying glass lately. And experimenting with glue...

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Excellent! We love Newton's Laws :)

Christy said...

This book sounds great! I love to find books that allow me to teach concepts that usually aren't taught to young kids!

I love your pictures to go along with the text!

Discovering Montessori said...

Very good science lesson! I am going to buy this book. Sounds too good to return back to the library. Thank you for sharing.

Ticia said...

Love how you did what they did in the book.

The books sounds so cute.

Raising a Happy Child said...

The book sounds like a lot of fun and a perfect introduction for young learners. I love the pictures you used to illustrate the story.

Hear Mum Roar said...

Yes, my eldest daughter has been doing some science experiments this week, but I'll be posting about them a little later.

MaryAnne said...

Thanks for linking up!

Tricia at Mom is the Only Girl said...

Looks like so much fun! I love doing 'experiments' on our own after seeing them somewhere!

amandab said...

What a great book book for inspiring learning and learning activities in such a simple way :)

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

I love how you have tested the theories which support the book. You've given me an idea for a science related story book that we have. Thanks!

Eva said...

oh that book sounds great :) I really need to check that one out, thanks for referring it and leaving a comment on my blog!

x Eva